Springer Science & Business Media, Jul 11, 2003 - Mathematics - 264 pages
Matroids appear in diverse areas of mathematics, from combinatorics to algebraic topology and geometry. This largely self-contained work provides an intuitive and interdisciplinary treatment of Coxeter matroids, a new and beautiful generalization of matroids which is based on a finite Coxeter group.
Key topics and features:
* Systematic, clearly written exposition with ample references to current research
* Matroids are examined in terms of symmetric and finite reflection groups
* Finite reflection groups and Coxeter groups are developed from scratch
* The Gelfand-Serganova Theorem is presented, allowing for a geometric interpretation of matroids and Coxeter matroids as convex polytopes with certain symmetry properties
* Matroid representations and combinatorial flag varieties are studied in the final chapter
* Many exercises throughout
* Excellent bibliography and index
Accessible to graduate students and research mathematicians alike, Coxeter Matroids can be used as an introductory survey, a graduate course text, or a reference volume.
What people are saying - Write a review