Concord-Farragut

Front Cover
Arcadia Publishing, 2009 - History - 128 pages
0 Reviews
In 1787, before Concord or Farragut existed, the area was known as Campbell's Station. The settlement grew rapidly, and by 1840, it was a thriving, self-sufficient community with many businesses. In the mid-1850s, the town of Concord was established two miles south of Campbell's Station along the newly installed railroad lines, drawing many businesses from Campbell's Station. Concord prospered, but Campbell's Station remained peaceful farmland. In 1902, Farragut High School was built in Campbell's Station. The school and the post office were the glue that held the west Knox County communities together. By 1944, nearly one-third of Concord was displaced by the impoundment of Fort Loudoun Lake. Soon Campbell's Station's sprawling farms became subdivisions, and Concord's businesses, churches, and even the post office were forced to relocate to Campbell's Station, leaving Concord a sleepy village. In 1980, a large area around the school but excluding Concord was incorporated as the town of Farragut.
  

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Contents

Acknowledgments
6
Introduction
7
Farming Business and Transportation
9
Buildings and Houses
25
People Events and Recreation
37
4 Families
51
A Century of Weddings
65
Children
77
Education
89
Religion
103
Military
115
Copyright

Common terms and phrases

About the author (2009)

Author Doris Woods Owens is the director of the Farragut Folklore Museum. She was born in Concord, where she lived for 16 years before being displaced by Fort Loudoun Lake. In 1942, her family relocated to the Campbell's Station area. Owens attended Farragut High School, studied piano for 10 years, and earned a bachelor's degree from the University of Tennessee and a master's degree while teaching in Miami. Kate Clabough is a freelance writer from Louisville, Tennessee.

Author Kate Clabough works in the childrenas department at the Blount County Library and is a freelance writer who specializes in local history. She grew up in Nebraska and moved to Louisville, Tennessee, in 1997. Originally from West Tennessee, Joe Spence taught for 38 years at Lenoir City High School. He currently lives in Knoxville and serves as the Loudon County historian.

Bibliographic information