Spanning almost seven centuries, this anthology encapsulates the foundation and consolidation of literature written in English, culminating in some of the finest works produced in English in the high Middle Ages.
- New edition of this widely-used anthology of Old and Middle English literature.
- Spans almost seven centuries, from the earliest writings in English to the time of Chaucer.
- Encapsulates the foundation and consolidation of literature written in English, culminating in some of the finest works produced in the high Middle Ages.
- Now extended to include newly-edited versions of key late medieval texts, namely ‘Sir Gawain and the Green Knight’, extracts from ‘Piers Plowman’, and selections from Chaucer.
- Texts are arranged by date of manuscript.
- Full translations are offered for the Old and earlier Middle English material, along with marginal glosses for the later texts.
- A general introduction gives an outline of key works and the historical context in which they were written.