It's the best-kept secret in the entertainment industry: how much actors--even award-winning movie stars--distrust directors, and how most directors, in turn, fear actors.
In Friendly Enemies, professor, acting coach, and actress Delia Salvi shows today's young film and television directors how to overcome the obstacles and meet the challenges of working with actors effectively and successfully. Based on the popular course she teaches at UCLA, seven comprehensive chapters provide proven guidance on such key topics as understanding the actor, the director's preparation, casting, rehearsals, and working on the set. An additional chapter features directors' notes, character analysis, and a scene breakdown from a section of the movie classic "On the Waterfront."
Finally, Friendly Enemies features fascinating one-on-one interviews with entertainment professionals including:
- Burt Brinckerhoff, well-known producer and director of the successful television series "Seventh Heaven" and director of over 46 legendary television shows
- Tom Holland, Emmy-winning director of "Malcolm in the Middle," as well as "The Larry Sanders Show" and "Twin Peaks"
- Geena Davis, star of "The Accidental Tourist," "Thelma and Louise," and "A League of Their Own"
- Anthony Franciosa, star of stage, screen, and television
- Barry Primus, who has recently appeared in the films "Life as a House" and "15 Minutes," as well as such television shows as "The Practice," "X-Files," and "Law and Order"