Featuring a clear writing style and a reader-friendly approach, this popular resource focuses on the therapeutic skills expected of the psychiatric nurse. Using the psychotherapeutic management model as a framework, it takes a practical, clinical approach to nursing by integrating clinical realities with the theory taught in nursing schools, emphasizing those duties for which nurses are primarily responsible. This fourth edition features a new full-color design, patient education content, and expanded student worksheets with case studies and critical thinking questions making it an even more effective learning tool.
- A separate unit on the continuum of care discusses care settings and case management.
- An entire unit on pharmacology includes drug side effects and nursing interventions.
- Each chapter begins with learning objectives to point students to important concepts within.
- Key terms are presented (where appropriate) in a boxed format for easy reference to facilitate the understanding of chapter content.
- Case studies help the reader conceptualize the development of effective nursing care strategies.
- Family Issues boxes are included in selected chapters to facilitate awareness of the issues families must confront when a member suffers from mental illness.
- Clinical examples drawn from the authors' own experiences are interspersed throughout the text to provide realistic illustrations of specific content.
- All boxes and tables with pharmacology content are highlighted for emphasis and accessibility.
- Nursing care plans highlight nursing care for selected disorders.
- Critical thinking questions throughout the text expand clinical reasoning skills.
- Key concepts are listed at the end of each chapter to recap important content.
- Key terms are defined in a comprehensive glossary in the back of the book.
- A new chapter on Alternative and Complementary Therapies presents valuable information about the various alternative/complementary therapies associated with mental health and illness.
- A new chapter on Spirituality addresses how spiritual beliefs can affect patients and their treatment.
- The new full color design is more reader-friendly and accessible.
- Patient and Family Education boxes in selected disorders chapters highlight important information.
- Updated DSM-IV-TR content is included.
- An expanded student study guide in the back of the book features perforated worksheets, multiple-choice study questions, case studies, and critical thinking questions to facilitate comprehension of the content.
A new website includes printable drug cards.