The Kabbalah Handbook: A Concise Encyclopedia of Terms and Concepts in Jewish Mysticism
A comprehensive single-volume reference guide to the terms and ideas of Kabbalah by a longtime teacher of Jewish mysticism -perfect for the serious student and newcomer alike.
People of all faiths and backgrounds are drawn to the inspiration, knowledge, and spiritual insight that Kabbalah offers. But too often writings on Jewish mysticism are impenetrable for the novice, overly simplified for the advanced student, or misrepresent and sensationalize Kabbalistic practice. The Kabbalah Handbook is the first comprehensive single-volume Kabbalah reference guide that is indispensable for Kabbalah students of every level. The Kabbalah Handbook features: - more than five hundred key terms and concepts in straightforward, easy-to-read definitions and thorough, well-researched discussions;
- Hebrew, English, and Hebrew transliteration for each item;
- the language of origin for each term;
- a discussion of all sides of differing opinions within Kabbalistic philosophy;
- pronunciation guides;
- nondiscriminatory, gender-neutral language;
- important historical information;
- extensive cross-referencing that enables readers to find all terms, whether they are looking up a word in English or transliterated Hebrew;
- twenty-eight original and innovative illustrations;
- thirty-two tables and charts that organize and break down unwieldy material into manageable items; and
- appendices covering topics such as the 613 Mitzvot (biblical commandments), the lunar calendar, and the sacred names of God.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
613 Mitzvot Adam Kadmon Aleph-Bet Asiyah aspects attain Attributes Atzilut Beit ha'Mikdash Beriah Binah bittul blessed body Chasidic Chesed Chokhmah consciousness Creation Da'at Deuteronomy Ein Sof energy essence Etz Chayim evil existence Exodus experience expression G-d created G-dhead G-dly soul gematria Genesis Gevurah Halakhah Hebrew Hebrew letters Hebrew word Holy Days human Israel Jewish mysticism Jews Judaism Kabbalah Kabbalah teaches Kabbalistic Kabbalistic literature Kaddish kavanah kelipot Keter Kohain kosher lashon ha'ra level of soul Leviticus Malkhut means meditation Merkavah middot Mitzvah Moses Moshiach Names of G-d Nefesh Numbers Olam ha'Ba Olamot worlds Oral Torah partzufim person phrase physical practice prayer prophetic awareness Rabbi refers ritual Rosh Ruach ha'Kodesh Sabbath Sacred Names Sages sechel Sefer ha'Zohar Sefer Yetzirah sephirah sephirot Shabbat Shekhinah shevirat ha'kelim sitra achra spiritual rectification Sukkot supernal realms Tetragrammaton Thirty-two Paths tikkun Olam Torah study tzedakah Tzimtzum Written Torah Yechidah Yesod yetzer Yom Kippur