Avon

Front Cover
Arcadia Publishing, 2006 - History - 128 pages
0 Reviews
In 1814, Wilbur Cahoon led a group of pioneers to the French Creek, near Lake Erie. They decided to settle at this spot, as the creek could provide them with fresh water and power their sawmills and gristmills. Other businesses began to develop, and a town was born. At first called Xeuma, and later Troy, the town blossomed into an agricultural center. In 1824, Lorain County was created, and the town's name was changed to Avon. Prosperous citizens of the 1850s and 1860s built beautiful homes and buildings. In later years, Avon survived the creation and demise of the trolley and interurban line, the closure of the wineries during prohibition, the draining effects of the Great Depression, and the loss of life in the World Wars. Today, Avon remains strong and continues to grow. Many of her century-old homes still stand in the midst of new developments, as a reminder of Avonites' ongoing tradition of hard work and perseverance, which has made Avon the great place to live that it is today.
  

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Contents

Acknowledgments
6
Memories of Avon
33
Streetscapes and the French Creek District
55
Schools Churches and Organizations
77
Municipal Services
97
Recreational Places Activities and Disasters
117
Copyright

Common terms and phrases

About the author (2006)

The French Creek Development Association (FCDA) and the Avon Historical Society have made this book possible. They continue to assist in future development, while preserving the past. Michelle Budzinski-Braunscheidel, a member and past board officer of the FCDA, spearheaded this publication.

Bibliographic information