England's topographer: or A new and complete history of the county of Kent; from the earliest records to the present time, including every modern improvement. Embellished with a series of views from original drawings by Geo. Shepherd, H. Gastineau, &c. with historical, topographical, critical, & biographical delineations (Google eBook)

Front Cover
G. Virtue, 1829 - Kent (England)
0 Reviews
  

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Common terms and phrases

Popular passages

Page 42 - tis to cast one's eyes so low ! The crows, and choughs, that wing the midway air, Show scarce so gross as beetles. Half way down Hangs one that gathers samphire ; dreadful trade ! Methinks he seems no bigger than his head. The fishermen, that walk upon the beach, Appear like mice ; and yon' tall, anchoring bark, Diminished to her cock ; her cock, a buoy Almost too small for sight.
Page 314 - This parish is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury and deanery of Lymne.
Page 398 - WESTWELL is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury and deanery of Charing, being exempt from that of the archdeacon.
Page 85 - Stodmarsh is within the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the diocese of Canterbury and deanery of Bridge.
Page 712 - DODHINGTOM is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury and deanery of Ospringe.
Page 224 - The havyn is a prety rode, and liith meatly strayt for passage owt of Boleyn." Yt croketh yn so by the shore a long, and is so bakked fro the mayn se with casting of shinggil, that smaul shippes may cum up alarg myle toward Folkestan as yn a sure gut.
Page 230 - AD 843, in the Reign of Ethelwolf, the Danes landed on the coast of Kent, near to the town of Hyta, and proceeded as far as Canterbury, great part of which they burnt ; at length Gustavus (then Governor of Kent) raised a considerable force...
Page 656 - Watson, argent, on a chevron, engrailed, azure, between three martlets, sable, as many crescents, or; second and third, Monson, or, two chevrons gules.
Page 10 - The first said mass to the governor at the high altar; the second, to the marshalmcn and officers, at the altar of the Virgin Mary ; and the third, to the soldiers, at the north end of the Chapel of Relics. In the time of Henry...
Page 675 - This hospital was founded by King Henry III. about the year 1235, and dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It consisted of a master and three regular brethren, of the order of the Holy Cross, and two secular clerks...

Bibliographic information