Richmond lies on the eastern border of the state and is the county seat of Wayne County. The earliest settlers arrived on the banks of the Whitewater River in 1806, quickly populating the area and transforming the wilderness into farmland. By the end of the century, the National Road, the rivers, and the railroads combined to make Richmond a manufacturing, commercial, architectural, and cultural center. The images found in this book document the late 19th and early 20th centuries, when Richmond was at the height of its affluence and its buildings, parks, bridges, and homes were among the finest in the state. This is also the period when postcards became a common form of quick communication and publishers produced them in great numbers. Richmond provided unlimited source material for these cards.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
Adam H Bartel Company became built Chautauqua Colonial Building congregation corner of North COUNTRY CLUB County Historical Museum Courtesy of Gary dedicated depot Dickinson Trust donated downtown Earlham College Archives Earlham Hall early East Main Street EASTHAVEN Eighth and Main Eighth Street factory Fall Festival floor Gaar Gary Batchelor Gennett GLEN MILLER PARK Hayes Arboretum History of Richmond interurban Knights of Columbus lake Lindley Hall located Looking East Lutheran Church Main Street Bridge Main Street Looking Morrisson-Reeves Library MOTEL Murrette National Road Bridge North E Street northeast opened Parade POSTCARD HISTORY SERIES Quakers Ralph Pyle razed REID MEMORIAL HOSPITAL renovated RICHMOND IND RICHMOND INDIANA Richmond's history Robert Morrisson Second National Bank Seventh Streets South southeast corner southwest Starr Piano Company Street Looking West structure Tenth theater torn town U.S. Route Wayne County Courthouse Wayne County Historical West from Ninth WESTCOTT HOTEL Whitewater River