A Century of Town Life; A History of Charlestown, Massachusetts, 1775-1887

Front Cover
General Books, May 9, 2012 - 130 pages
0 Reviews
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1888 Excerpt: ... to E. Bennett, and he (1740) Jas. Hay. Jas. sold it (1765) to his son John, of whose large estate, and claim (74) for two houses, bakehouse (2 ovens), "shaise" house, etc., it appears to have formed apart. Jon. Rand held 111 until his death (1760), when his heirs sold half the house to his son, Rev. Nehemiah, who (?) claimed (175) for a mansion with 7 "smokes," a hatter's shop, and barn. His widow and administratrix sold (1765) the other part to his son Thomas, who claimed (176) for a house, workshop, and barn. EsTher Rand, widow of Jon., another son, claimed (177) for furniture. From the first rebuilding in the town until recently, the house that stood at the corner, 113, was one of the most notable landmarks in the central parts of Charlestown. Its site is now wholly within the area of Thompson Square, and a post there bearing an electric light may be considered its monument. It was a long, narrow, wooden building of two stories, with a gable at the end, and a roof sloping towards each street. For many years Mrs. Mercy Boylston lived in the southerly end and upstairs, and on the first floor at the other end Elias Crafts kept a druggist's store, and hence the place got the name of "Crafts' Corner." According to Mr. Cutter (Centennial Reminiscences, 1875), and information in the Hay family, the house was the first erected at the rebuilding of the town. As was the case with 112, this estate belonged to John Hay, and formed part of his claim (74). He had it (1763) of his father, who (1724-25) of Jon. Rand, who (1723) of N. Heaton, who (1702) of Joseph Phipps. In 1802 John Hay left the estate to his son Wm., who died in 1813, and his daughter Mercy (Boylston), who lived until 1849. The block 109-113 appears to have been chiefly p...

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Bibliographic information