Weapons of Mass Distortion: The Coming Meltdown of the Liberal Media (Google eBook)
Could Al Franken and his left-wing cronies possibly be right? Is liberal media bias just a myth propagated by conservatives, and have the mainstream media actually swung to the right?
In the new book Weapons of Mass Distortion, L. Brent Bozell III—founder and president of the Media Research Center, America’s largest and most respected media watchdog organization—presents the definitive account of how liberal bias in the news industry is alive and well.
But here’s the thing: The liberal media are headed for a downfall. Bozell demonstrates how their monopoly on information is at last coming to an end, in large part because journalists continue to deny the bias that infects their news coverage. His unrivaled expertise allows him to show readers exactly how the media landscape is changing—and to expose the even bigger changes that are coming.
Marshaling an astonishing amount of evidence, Bozell documents exactly how the news media deliberately attempt to set the national agenda through their slanted coverage. In the process he destroys the arguments that Franken and many other left-wing commentators have put forward regarding media bias.
Weapons of Mass Distortion also reveals:
• How the liberal media’s slanted coverage of President George W. Bush will play a huge role in the 2004 elections
• Why liberals’ claims about the influence of Fox News and the “conservative media” are wrong—and deliberately misleading
• How the mainstream press has waged war on the war on terrorism
• Never-before-told stories of how leading journalists, behind the scenes, betray the liberal bias they so forcefully deny in public—incidents that Bozell has witnessed firsthand
• How the same journalists who condemn the Right for “hate speech” regularly launch (and get away with) vicious personal attacks on conservatives
• Clear evidence that the major news outlets are hemorrhaging viewers, readers, and listeners precisely because of their liberal bias
By dominating the news media for so long, liberals have been able to control what we see and hear. But as Bozell makes clear, the Left will lose that control soon enough.
From the Hardcover edition.
What people are saying - Write a review
Weapons of mass distortion: the coming meltdown of the liberal mediaUser Review - Book Verdict
It is hard to believe that the market for books on bias in the press is not completely saturated. Recent works like Al Franken's Lies and Eric Alterman's What Liberal Media? charge that the media have a conservative bias, while Bernard Goldberg's Bias and Bob Kohn's Journalistic Fraud charge the opposite. Bozell, president of the Media Research Council, sides with the latter, examining such issues as abortion, taxes, environment, religion, gay rights, and gun control to show that the media foster a liberal agenda. He uses anecdotal evidence while focusing on Dan Rather, whose liberalism he claims is transparent. Bozell does not believe that liberals will ever concede their bias and argues that the liberal media are headed for a meltdown. Although he claims that his arguments are supported by research done at the Media Research Council, no evidence is provided, and the partisan tone makes the book read like a very long editorial. Nevertheless, libraries following the back and forth on this issue should purchase.--Judy Solberg, George Washington Univ. Libs., Washington, DC
Review: Weapons of Mass Distortion: The Coming Meltdown of the Liberal MediaUser Review - Steven Raszewski - Goodreads
Very good expose, and the truth of the liberal media bias. Read full review