Concise Encyclopedia of Languages of the World (Google eBook)
Elsevier, Apr 6, 2010 - Language Arts & Disciplines - 1320 pages
Concise Encyclopedia of Languages of the World is an authoritative single-volume reference resource comprehensively describing the major languages and language families of the world.
It will provide full descriptions of the phonology, semantics, morphology, and syntax of the world’s major languages, giving insights into their structure, history and development, sounds, meaning, structure, and language family, thereby both highlighting their diversity for comparative study, and contextualizing them according to their genetic relationships and regional distribution.
Based on the highly acclaimed and award-winning Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics, this volume will provide an edited collection of almost 400 articles throughout which a representative subset of the world's major languages are unfolded and explained in up-to-date terminology and authoritative interpretation, by the leading scholars in linguistics.
In highlighting the diversity of the world’s languages — from the thriving to the endangered and extinct — this work will be the first point of call to any language expert interested in this huge area. No other single volume will match the extent of language coverage or the authority of the contributors of Concise Encyclopedia of Languages of the World.
* Extraordinary breadth of coverage: a comprehensive selection of just under 400 articles covering the world's major languages, language families, and classification structures, issues and disputes
* Peerless quality: based on 20 years of academic development on two editions of the leading reference resource in linguistics, Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics
* Unique authorship: 350 of the world's leading experts brought together for one purpose
* Exceptional editorial selection, review and validation process: Keith Brown and Sarah Ogilvie act as first-tier guarantors for article quality and coverage
* Compact and affordable: one-volume format makes this suitable for personal study at any institution interested in areal, descriptive, or comparative language study - and at a fraction of the cost of the full encyclopedia
What people are saying - Write a review
См. также на моем блоге по языкам и переводам пост:
Определитель языков по письменности
The languages of the worldGeorge L. Campbell Concise compendium of the world's languages
Concise Encyclopedia of Languages of the World
В.П. Берков "Современные германские языки"
Языки мира. Тюркские языки
Page 886 showing that Sikhs write punjabi in Gurmukhi script and Hindus in devnagri is totally untrue. This should be removed from the text. Punjabi has only two writing systems I.e. Gurmukhi and Persian which is also known as perso-Arabic. No ground realities support the view that Hindus write punjabi in devnagri. Dogri is an independent language and written in devnagri as per Indian constitution. So facts about writing system of punjabi should be correctly narrated.
Rating because of this wrong statement poor.