Arcadia Publishing, Apr 14, 2014 - History - 127 pages
Orange City was founded in 1869-1870 as a colony of Dutch Americans from Pella. Led by Henry Hospers, the colonists made Orange City the center of Dutch agricultural expansion in northwestern Iowa and farther west. By 1874, the town had railroad connections, was the seat of Sioux County, and had a Dutch-language weekly newspaper that was read in the Netherlands as well as around North America. Hospers, along with others, founded an academy in 1882 to train young people in the classics and the Reformed faith. By the 1930s, the academy was maturing into what is now Northwestern College. The town's populace has never been exclusively Dutch; nevertheless, the Dutch heritage of the settlement has remained central to Orange City's identity. A tulip festival held in 1936 became an annual event that continues to draw tens of thousands of visitors each May. In 1986, a Dutch-front initiative was launched that has transformed much of the town with a distinctive Dutch look.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
20th century Albany Avenue Alton Ann Vander Kooi Bolks campus Canons of Dort Central Avenue Christian Reformed City Fire Department City’s colony congregation costume courtesy of Ann Courtesy of John Courtesy of Northwestern courtesy of OCCC Courtesy of Orange courtesy of SCHS courthouse dancing denomination DeWitt Dutch American Dutch colonists East Orange farm float Floyd River Henry Hospers Hervormde Kerk high school Holland Hospers bank building Hospers’s image above shows Iowa John TePaske Ken Fry located Music Netherlands Northwestern Bank Northwestern Classical Academy Northwestern College NWCA NWJC Orange City Chamber Orange City Fire Orange City residents Pella photograph shows pictured Pizza Ranch Protestant Raalte Reformed Church Scholte seen Sinterklaas Sioux City Sioux County Capital Sioux County Courthouse Street now Central town’s Tulip Festival Tulip Festival queen Vander Kooi Minnick Vander Waa Vogel Paint Volksvriend Windmill Park women wooden shoes World War II Zanten Zwemer Hall