Galignani's new Paris guide: containing an accurate statistical and historical description of all the institutions, public edifices ... an abstract of the laws affecting foreigners ... (Google eBook)

Front Cover
A. and W. Galignani and Company, 1838 - Paris (France) - 558 pages
0 Reviews
  

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Common terms and phrases

Popular passages

Page 48 - ... by tradesmen. Secours aux Noyes et Asphyxies. Witnesses of accidents on the Seine and elsewhere are bound to afford the first aid, and to call the nearest physician or surgeon, or to make it known to the nearest military post or commissary of police. A reward of 25 fr.
Page 343 - Sulpice, and opened for the reception of poor girls and sick women of his parish. It was afterwards converted into a school for the daughters of poor noblemen, and in 1802 was formed into an hospital for sick children.
Page 348 - Bullet. The front, rebuilt in 1787, by Brother Claude, one of the monks, is decorated with two ranges of columns of the Doric and Ionic orders, surmounted by a pediment, in which is a bas-relief representing Religion, and is terminated by a cross. This church is 132 feet in length, and 72 feet in height. The interior is ornamented with Corinthian pilasters, the capitals of which are carved with unusual spirit and elegance. The...
Page 405 - Herealso is one of the entrances to the CATACOMBS. These immense receptacles for the bones of the dead were devoted to that purpose in 1784, when the Council of State issued a decree for clearing the cemetery of the Innocents, and for removing its contents, as well as those of other cemeteries, into the quarries that had existed from a remote period beneath the southern part of Paris, and by which the Observatory, the Luxembourg, the Odeon, the Val de Grace, the Pantheon, the rues de la Harpe,...
Page 192 - The spandrils of the transversal arches represent the infantry and cavalry of the French armies, by Messrs. Bra and Valois respectively ; and on their interior spandrils are the artillery and the marine, by Messrs. De Bay and Seurre. The groups on the other arches represent the conquests of the armies of the North, East, West, and South ; the names of the Generals are placed beneath, numbering altogether 384. Winding staircases in the two eastern piers (i) M. Etex w
Page 463 - Admission to the Chateau, stables, and grounds is obtained without difficulty. The forest of Chantilly, adjoining the park, contains 7,600 acres. In the midst of it is a circular area called the Table Ronde, from which 12 roads branch in different directions, and this is the ordinary rendezvous of sporting parties. The...
Page 369 - Ihe holy water basins arc attached to richly sculptured marble pedestals, surmounted by angels. Private mass is performed here daily. Gallery of Modern Art. In the buildings on the eastern side of the courts is the gallery for paintings, formed by order of Marie de Medicis, and at first composed of twenty-four large pictures, by Rubens, representing the allegorical history of that queen. It was afterwards augmented by several pictures which belonged lo the queen-dowager of Spain, and by others...
Page 133 - The Place de la Bastille, intersected by the latter canal, was begun, and near it a vast granary of reserve was constructed. The Bank of France was established in the Hotel de Toulouse, and a magnificent Bourse or Exchange begun. Fifteen new fountains were erected in different parts of the city, and several wide streets and spacious markets were opened.
Page 266 - Upon the site of this the Hotel de Ville was erected. The first stone was laid July 15, 1533, by Pierre de Viole, prevot des marchands, but the works were afterwards suspended, until 1549, when Dominic Boccadoro, of Cortona, resumed them after a plan of his own.
Page 411 - AL (AnneLouis) are inlaid in the pavement, which here, as well as throughout the whole of the edifice, is formed of rich marbles. The chapels for the nuns are separated from the rest of the building by iron gratings, and in that behind the altar, which is a beautiful piece of architecture, a crimson curtain screened the superiors of the convent from the view of the congregation.

Bibliographic information