What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
A. E. Douglass Acad Ancient Annals Ky Antiq bluff Brief notice Burial mound cemetery Coll County Creek Cyrus Thomas Described and figured described by J. W. Described in Report earthworks east bank effigy mounds embankment Explored and described F. W. Putnam farm figured in Report Fork Geol Gerard Fowke group of mounds H. L. Reynolds half a mile Hist Hiwassee River inclosure J. F. Le Baron J. W. Emmert James Mooney Jeffries Wyman John's River Lake Large mound Middleton miles east miles north miles south miles southeast miles west Mississippi River Mound 3 miles Mound Builders mouth north bank northeast Ohio Peab pottery Proc Reported by Gerard Reported by J. W. Reported by James round mounds S. D. Peet Section Shell heap skeletons small mounds southwest Squier stone graves Stone mound Surv Tennessee River Three mounds town Township village west bank
Page 22 - Bayon, west of the St. Francis River. Briefly described in Report. Inclosures, hut-rings, and mounds on a sandy ridge between the Mississippi River and Old Town Lake at the point where they make their nearest approach to each other, and near the ancient outlet of Old Town Lake. The "Barney Mound," about 5 miles south of Old Town and about equal distance from the Mississippi River and Beaver Bayou.
Page 28 - ... necessarily broken up, at an early period, into an infinity of insignificant tribes that could hold little or no communication with each other, and that, consequently, very soon sunk irrecoverably beneath the level of the rest * My talented townsman, John Gait, Esq., has informed me that he has seen the remains of an Indian fort on the summit of a precipitous ridge near Lake Simcoe in Upper Canada.
Page 167 - ... Prehistoric Works, notices in Coshocton County 16 various remains. Our survey noted all of these, examining most of them, and recorded some thirty additional ones. Dr. Thomas says: "At Flint Ridge, on the north bank of the Mohican River, between Walhonding and Warsaw, numerous pits show that is was much worked. There is a thick layer of dark flint overlooking a stratum of chalcedony; the latter seems to have been the kind sought.
Page 164 - Pl. 11, No. 1. Also by JP MacLean, Mound Builders, pp. 212, 213, Fig. 60. The accompanying mound explored. Described and figured in Report. Antiq. of Ohio, by HA Shepherd, pp. 32, 33. . Mound 1 mile south of Poast Town station, and 2 miles north of Middletown, in which were found rolls of cloth and other relics. John S. Earhart, Sm. Rep., 1880, pp. 443, 444. The following mounds are found in St. Clair Township : One, the largest in the township, on Section 18 ; one on Section 19 ; two on Section...
Page 228 - It is directly north of what used to be called Sugar Creek Springs or Dogharty's. The trail, in going north, after crossing the river at this point, divided, one branch leading to Lake Mendota and the other to Lake Kegonsa. There was a trail leading from the northwestern side of Lake Mendota, around the north side, of the lake to McBride's Point ( Maple Bluff).
Page 177 - ... John P. Rogan, Thomas Ms. p. — . Notice by John P. MacLean, Mound Builders, p. 27. Below the preceding a group of works (circles, ellipses, etc.) formerly existed on the site of the present town of Piqua. Described in Long's " Second Expedition," Vol. 1, pp. 54-66. Mentioned in Anc. Mon., p. 23. Mounds and earthworks in Washington and Spring Creek townships, on the Great Miami and its tributaries. Full description and diagram by ET Wiltheiss, Papers Relating to Anthropology, from Sm. Rep. 1884,...
Page 12 - County, neur the De Kalb County line. Rock houses or caves in the vicinity. Pickett's Hist. Ala., v. 1, pp. 175-176. Chilton County. Mound at Varna, on the South and North Alabama Railroad, near the old Repito Gold mine, on sec.
Page 116 - In the township of Springwells, just below Detroit, were four of these mounds ; one of them still remains inside the grounds of Fort Wayne ; the second was on property now occupied by the Copper Smelting Works, and the third lay between the other two. They were circular in form, from thirty to seventy feet in diameter, and varying from three to ten feet in height. Two parallel embankments, about four feet high, led to them from the east. One of these mounds was opened in 1837, and the one inside...
Page 224 - Coulie group of eighteen conical mounds at the mouth of Sne Coulie, about 9 miles up the Mississippi River, on the road leading from Prairie du Chien to Lynxville. Eastman Township. Explored by John W. Emmert. Described and figured in Report. Mounds near Wanzeka. Brief mention by Moses Strong, Sm. Rep., 1877, p. 239 ; figured on p. 241. Mounds on NE.
Page 31 - Rod and Gun," November 4, 1876. Mound on the west margin of Lake Winder at Fort Taylor. Mound 10 or 15 miles south of Lake Washington, at the head of Big Cypress Swamp, west of the river and north of the swamp. Mound about three-fourths of a mile above the mouth of Snake Creek, between Salt and Lanfman Lakes. Examined by Mr. Cone, who found heads and a human skull with a bullet hole in the back.