the forty men enlisted by the town of Middleboro for three years' service or during the war. He was chosen deacon of the First Church June 30, 1826, and served until his death, July 30, 1850, at the age of eighty-six years. The community had great confidence in his judgment in settling disputes, so that for years he bore not only the title of deacon, but that of peacemaker.1

On the other side of Everett Street, some little distance to the south of his house, stood the residence of Archippus Leonard and his son, Seth. Archippus Leonard worked in the furnace of Judge Oliver at Muttock. In the War of 1812 Seth Leonard was captain of a schooner which sailed from Wareham to Stonington, Conn. Upon his arrival he was informed that the place was threatened by a British man-of-war, which arrived the next morning opposite the town. The inhabitants were wholly unprepared for defence, and most of them had fled into the country. Captain Leonard, a man of great courage, determined to defend the town, and finding a seven-pound cannon with sufficient ammunition, had it placed at a point which would bear upon the ship. The few remaining women brought their dresses for wadding. The man-of-war was too far off to have its shell effective, and owing to the shallowness of the harbor, was unable to come to the wharf, so the commander proceeded to land men in boats. Captain Leonard and his crew fired with such precision, as the boats approached, that several were destroyed and the others retreated to the vessel. The man-of-war soon after sailed away.

Several generations ago bricks were manufactured by Calvin and Levi Murdock in the lowland in the northern part of this neighborhood, and within a few years George R. Sampson has carried on a large brick business upon the land which he inherited from his grandfather, Deacon Sampson. Opposite the residence of Mr. Sampson was a cartway, in the early part of the last century, leading to a settlement of some five or six dwelling-houses known as "the city." These houses were one after another removed, and the place they occupied is a dense

1 Sampson Genealogy, p. 77.

wood, with nothing to indicate the secluded village of former times.

Some sixty years ago the neighborhood on the hill south of Warrentown was known as " Tribou's," from Melzar Tribou, an old-time shoemaker. His son, Nahum M. Tribou, was a large farmer, and had a sales stable connected with his farm. His son, Nahum M. Tribou, Jr., who died in 1871, was a wellknown physician in practice in Norwich, Conn. In the open yard adjoining the residence of Melzar Tribou were the carpenter shop of Horatio N. Wilbur and the shoe shop of Richard Carter. On the other side of the road was the blacksmith shop of Eber Beals, a skilful and reliable mechanic; he was a citizen of strong character. The house owned by the late James Snow on the hill was formerly the residence of his father, Aaron Snow, who bought the place in 1794 and had a wheelwright shop near his house. This house, although its exterior has been much changed, is known to have been standing before 1740, and probably contains the only fireplace in town of a style in use when the house was erected. It is about six feet high, ten feet long, and six feet deep, with a large, brick oven in one corner.

Lysander Richmond, a well-known citizen of this neighborhood, commenced the manufacture of shoes in 1848. This so increased that he erected a large building on Plymouth Street upon what is known as the Elisha Richmond farm. His business was largely with the South, and upon the breaking out of the War of the Rebellion he lost so heavily that he was obliged to give up this enterprise, which was never afterwards resumed.



HE northern part of the town still retains its Indian name of Titicut.1 This included the southern part of Bridgewater on this side of the Taunton River, and from the earliest time was noted for its productive soil and natural beauty. It was first known to the English settlers through the journey of Stephen Hopkins and Edward Winslow under the guidance of the friendly Indian Tisquantum, who started from Plymouth July 13, 1621, to seek an interview with the great Indian sachem, Massasoit. Of this visit Governor Winslow gives an account, to which we refer elsewhere. Here was one of the three settlements of the Namascheuks.

It was on the high ground on both sides site Of The Old Indian Fort of the river, southwest

of the Congregational meeting-house. The hill on the easterly side of the river, southwest of the church, is known as the Indian Fort,2 and there Winslow and Hopkins probably spent the night.

1 Kehtehticut, Cututicut, Tetiquid, which often occur in the early deeds and records, are different spellings of Titicut.

4 "The Nemasket Indians and neighboring tribes built this fort for their own protection. They had two doors to the fort: one next to the river, the other on the opposite side. One day they were surprised by a formidable force of the Narragansett Indians with whom they were at war, at which time, unfortunately, there were only eight men in the fort; the remaining part were hunting and


After the death of Chickataubut in 1633, the Titicut Indians seem to have been divided into two bands, separated from each other by the Taunton River. On the river was the old weir where they caught herring.

Here was the old Indian reservation,1 the southern corner of which was at that point where the present bounds of Middleboro, Lakeville, and Taunton meet.2 From there the line ran easterly, or northeasterly, to an oak-tree on the brow of a hill; thence easterly by a black oak-tree to what was known as the old English line; thence to the river. The oak-tree, still

fishing. What therefore now to do they could not tell, but something must be done and that immediately. Therefore, every Indian bound on his blanket and arrows and took their bows and rushed out of the back door through the bushes down the bank to the river, then by the river in an opposite direction from their enemy a small distance, then ascended the bank in sight of their enemy, then rushing in and through the fort and down the bank again, then up the bank and through the fort as before. This round of deception they continued till their enemy, being surprised that their fort consisted of so formidable a number, left the ground precipitately and retired, fearing an attack from the vast number in the fort." Memorandum in the Bennett Family.

1 It was through the influence of the court that Josias Wampatuck, the son of Chickataubut, was induced to give a deed without consideration : —

Prence Govk A deed appointed to bee Recorded THES p'sents witnesseth that I Josias allies Chickatabutt doe promise by these p'sents to giue vnto the Indians liueing vpon Catuhtkut Riuer (viz) Pompanohoo Waweens and the other Indians liveing there: that is three miles upon each side of the Riuer excepting the lands that are alreddy sold to the English either Taunton Bridgwater or to the Major and doe promise by these p'sents not to sell or giue to any any Pte or 4?cell of land; but that the aforsaid Indians shall peacably enjoy the same without any Interuption from mee or by my meanes in any respect: the which I doe engage and promise by these p'sents: witnes my hand this 9" of June in the yeare 1664

Ch1ckatabutt allies Jos1as -f- Q

his marke

Witnes his marke

Richard Bourne
John Low

his marke

Book of Indian Records, Plymouth Colony Records (1620-51), vol. xii, p. 238.

2 See map of Indian Purchases.

standing, is mentioned in several of the early deeds.1 This reservation was carefully guarded by the General Court for more than two generations; the whites settling in this region were instructed not to encroach on the territory of the Indians, or in any way molest them ; they retained exclusive possession long after other portions of the town had been settled.

Among the early settlers was a Mr. Richmond,2 who was here before King Philip's War ; a man of gigantic stature, bold and fearless. He was much dreaded by the Indians, with whom he had many contests, and as he was usually victorious, they were constantly planning to capture him. He served as one of Captain Church's scouts, and in the latter part of the war was attacked by a number of Indians when there was a great freshet in the Taunton River. He was driven to a spot where the Poquoy brook enters the river, and as escape was impossible, he was killed. He lived near the house of the late Jonathan Richmond by the bend of the river, a few rods this side of the Richmond town bridge.

A few years ago, when the highway was straightened and repaired, his remains were found, and he was re-interred. Afterwards, his body was exhumed in presence of Dr. Morrill Robinson and others to test the truth of the tradition as to his gigantic size and strength. When his skeleton was measured, it was found that his thigh-bone was four inches longer than that bone in an ordinary man, and that he had a double row of teeth in each jaw. His height must have been at least seven feet and eight inches. There is a tradition that he was the brother of Jonathan Richmond, who, four years after his brother's death, occupied the land which he had formerly cultivated.

Here was situated one of the three churches of the praying Indians. Probably its site was near the present centre of the parish, on Pleasant Street, not far from the shoe factory of Keith & Pratt.

This church continued until after 1755; it was then dis

1 See picture of this tree in chapter on Early Purchases.

2 A sketch of the life of this man appeared some years ago in a pamphlet which is now lost.

« PreviousContinue »