Growing a Girl: Seven Strategies for Raising a Strong, Spirited Daughter
“Mackoff's strategies for enhancing girls' self-esteem and creating equal opportunity are clear, practical, and most important, achievable.”—Peggy Orenstein, author of School Girls: Young Women, Self-Esteem, and the Confidence Gap
“IS THAT YOUR DAUGHTER? ISN'T SHE PRETTY?”
Like parents of girls everywhere, psychologist Barbara Mackoff often heard her young daughter Hannah dismissed with those words. So often that she started to reply: “And she's smart too.” Hoping to counter the culture that she feared would stereotype her daughter and diminish her confidence, Dr. Mackoff spent three years searching for strategies to nurture Hannah's growing sense of self. The result is Growing a Girl.
Offering hundreds of specific suggestions and tools for fostering a daughter's independence and individuality, Growing a Girl encourages parents to act now by exploring seven practical paths. Based on clinical research and Dr. Mackoff's highly acclaimed Growing a Girl workshop, this extraordinary book offers parents the skills to shatter stereotypes that can stunt a daughter's growth while giving her the tools to nourish her strength, spirit, and capacity to care.
YOU WILL DISCOVER:
• How gender stereotyping starts at birth—and how you can prevent it
• Why she can wear a velvet dress to the ballet and still climb to the treetops
• What to do about Barbie dolls and traditional fairy tales—without spoiling your daughter's fun
• How to discover and honor her feelings
• How to counteract our culture's emphasis on physical beauty
• How to bring home heroines—in books, magazines, movies, and in her community
• How to recognize and strengthen your daughter's learning style—and build on her natural interesting science and math
• And more.
1 page matching Berenstain Bears in this book
Results 1-1 of 1
What people are saying - Write a review
Review: Growing a Girl: Seven Strategies for Raising a Strong, Spirited DaughterUser Review - Amy - Goodreads
A little outdated, but full of interesting stories, things to watch out for and things to discuss with growing girls. Loved that she included stay at home moms as still being "equalist," without putting us down at all. Read full review
Review: Growing a Girl: Seven Strategies for Raising a Strong, Spirited DaughterUser Review - Katelyn - Goodreads
Though it has some outdated information, this is a great read about what we can do as parents to keep from setting up a gender trap. As I read suggestions on how to bring up your daughter wearing ... Read full review
Study Sex Differences
Let Girls Be Girls
16 other sections not shown