This superlative Companion
provides a comprehensive and up-to-date guide to the discipline of sociology. Written by an international team of leading academics and teachers, many of whose names will be familiar to the reader, this volume provides succinct summaries of the state of knowledge in each of the subfields. The volume is divided into parts broadly characterizable as: approaches, subject matter, methods, current debates, resources (books, journals and archives) and opportunities (intellectual, research-based and career). Taken in total, the chapters convey the tremendous dynamism and diversity of the field.
The Companion sets out to realize several objectives:
The Student's Companion to Sociology
- To stimulate interest in sociology by emphasizing the discipline's engagement with the "real world".
- To help orient students within a complex and varied discipline.
- To enthuse the reader with the possibilities for sociological engagements with contemporary problems and issues.
- To introduce the full range of approaches within the discipline.
- To encourage the development of transferable skills.
is an essential resource for all students of sociology.