Understanding Data Communications: From Fundamentals to Networking
Now in its third edition, Understanding Data Comunications, provides a comprehensive introduction to the field of data communications for both students and professionals. Assuming no prior knowledge of the field, it presents an overview of the role of communications, their importance, and the fundamental concepts of using the ISO's 7-layer approach to present the various aspects of networking.
* Covers the evolving high speed network access via digital subscriber line, cable modems and wireless communication.
* Examines the role of regulatory and standardization bodies, the operation of the Internet and the use of a variety of electronic applications.
* Includes a series of comprehensive questions covering the important concepts from each section.
* Describes the digital network used by communications carriers and the methods used to obtain access to the digital highway.
* Discusses frequency division multiplexing which forms the foundation for the operation of several types of high speed digital subscriber line.
Aimed at the senior level undergraduate and graduate computer science student, it is also essential reading for data processing professionals and those involved in computer science and data communications.
84 pages matching standard in this book
Results 1-3 of 84
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Basic Telegraph and Telephone Operations
Basic Circuit Parameters Measurement Units
Fundamental Data Transmission Concepts
16 other sections not shown
analog applications area network ASCII AT&T bandwidth block bridge buffer bytes cable capability channel character circuit coaxial cable communications carriers compression connected connector control unit conversion cost data compression data link data rate data transfer data transmission destination address dialing distance DLCI enables encoding equipment Ethernet fiber field FRAD frame relay frequency full-duplex functions Gigabit Ethernet half-duplex header IEEE illustrated in Figure interconnect interface Internet inverse multiplexer ISDN ITU-T kbps layer leased line mainframe computer Mbps method modem modulation multiplexer node occurs operating rate optical packet network perform personal computer port protocol PSTN receive data referred represents resulting router routing SDLC server signal standard station switch synchronous Table TCP/IP technique telephone company terminal device Token-Ring transmit data Tymnet vendors voice wire workstation