Named for the garbanzo bean that Julio Verdugo raised on his Rancho San Rafael, the town of Garvanza was laid out by Ralph Rogers in 1886. The community soon became a haven for artists and others seeking a refuge from the growing urban life of Los Angeles. Early institutions included the Church of the Angels and the Judson Studios, founded by painter William Lees Judson to create art through stained glass. The town's identity was eventually overtaken by neighboring Highland Park, but the community name was reestablished in the 1990s by today's residents, who are as in love with its beauty as those 110 years earlier.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Andrew Glassell Jr Angeles and Pasadena Angeles and San Angeles Historic Cultural Angeles Public Library architect Arroyo Seco bridge Arroyo Seco Parkway Ashley's Author's collection Avenue 64 Beatrice Russell bluff built C. C. Pierce collection Church Condron constructed Craftsman decade later declared Los Angeles Donnelly House Earle Campbell Fargo office Five Friendly Valleys Forest Stewardship Council Garvanza Avenue Garvanza Improvement Association Garvanza Land Company Garvanza Methodist Garvanza Villa Hotel Highland Park Heritage Historic Cultural Monument HPOZ Judson Studios McClure Miller's Hall neighborhood neighboring Highland Park North Avenue 66 Northeast Newspapers Pacific Electric Park Heritage Trust Pasadena Avenue Pasadena Freeway Prudent Beaudry Railroad Bridge Ralph Rogers replaced reservoir Richard Alatorre Ruby Street San Gabriel Railroad San Rafael Santa Fe Hill Security Pacific Collection seen South Avenue Southern California structure Today town Train and Williams USC Archives Victorian Virginia Neely collection Wilson Estate York Boulevard