Since the arrival of its first settler in 1829, the story of Kalamazoo has been an interesting one. Out of the southwest Michigan wilderness, a small 19th century village quickly blossomed into a 20th century city. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, a wide variety of industries made Kalamazoo a boomtown. Everything from paper, corsets, taxicabs, and pharmaceuticals allowed Kalamazoo to develop into a major center of manufacturing. At the same time, several colleges that would establish the area as a center for education were organized and expanded. Fortunately, much of Kalamazoo's development has been well-documented through photographs and other visual illustrations. These images are the subjects of this
volume, which is organized to show the varied elements of Kalamazoo's history. Gathered from local archives and private collections, most of these rare photographs have never before been published.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
20th century addition ahove American National Bank Archives and Regional Art Deco auditorium automobiles Bowen Hall Bronson Park Bryant Paper Company building's built Burdick block Burdick Hotel celery CHECKER CAB Church construction courthouse cupola Curtenius downtown Kalamazoo early 20th century East Hall East Main Street facade facility Female Department fire furnaee greenhouse Hanselman Building hoth HOUSE NUMBER Hubert Humphrey industry Kalamazoo Center Kalamazoo College campus Kalamazoo institution Kalamazoo National Bank Kalamazoo Paper Company Kalamazoo State Hospital Kalamazoo Stove Company landmark landscape Linear Plan Mall Michigan Avenue Michigan Central Depot Michigan University Archives National Bank Building North Oakland Drive Oakland Gymnasium parade photo shows photograph shows picture Portage Street postcard Prospect Hill provided Kalamazoo Reed Field House Regional History Collections Rose Street seen South Burdick Street South Street survives today Upjohn Uptown visible Waldo Library water tower West Campus WEST MiCHiGAN Western Michigan University