What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
adorned aisle altar ancient arches architecture arrondissement bas-reliefs beautiful Boulevard bronze building built called capital celebrated centre Champs chapel choir church columns compartments consists contains Corinthian court Dame decorated ditto dome Duke Duke of Orleans Ecole edifice elegant entrance erected establishment Faubourg St formed formerly fountain France French front gallery garden Germain grand ground Hdtel Henry IV hospital institution interior Ionic order Jean Goujon king lime loges Louis XIII Louis XIV Louis XVI Louvre magnificent marble ment Minister monument Napoleon nave northern occupied ornamented painted palace Palais Palais Royal Paris Parterre pavilions pediment persons Philippe Philippe de Champagne pilasters Pont premieres present principal prison Quai remarkable residence Revolution roof royal rue du Faubourg rue Neuve rue St Salle sculptured side southern staircase statue stone storeys stranger street surmounted theatre tion tomb total number transept Tuileries vaulting visitor walls wortby
Page 148 - CHURCHES. — Of these St. Germain des Pres is the most valuable relic of the Romanesque style of architecture now remaining in Paris. Of the Early Pointed style Notre Dame is the great type ; and, both from its size and numerous historical recollections, the cathedral church takes the lead of all others. There are hardly any specimens of the early Flamboyant style remaining. St. Severin and St. Germain I'Auxerrois belong to its middle period(l400 — 1500); St.
Page 273 - In the petits appartements is a window looking into the rue du Chaume, belonging to the boudoir of a Duchess de Guise, once the owner of the palace, from whence it is said her lover precipitated himself into the street on the approach of the Duke. After the revolution of 1789, some families of noble birth, who had suffered by the times, were lodged here by order of Napoleon ; and in 1 809 the whole edifice was consecrated to the preservation of the archives of the nation.
Page vi - Triomphe de 1'fitoilc, the heights of Montmartre, or the cemetery of Pere La Chaise, the panorama is complete ; there is no indistinctness or confusion in the prospect ; every palace, church, and public edifice stands distinctly before the eye, and, interspersed with the foliage of the gardens and the boulevards, the whole forms a prospect at once grand and beautiful. It need hardly be added that this lively metropolis is the most attractive emporium of pleasure and...
Page 17 - Apartments may be had by the day, week, or month ; breakfasts are served in the coffee-room or in private apartments, and visitors may dine at the table-d'hote or in their own rooms. A list contains the charge for every article, servants, cte.
Page 495 - SAINT CLOUD. — This small town, situated on the Seine, 2 leagues west of Paris, was so called from St. Clodoald, grandson of Clovis, who, having escaped when his brothers were murdered by their uncle Clotaire, concealed himself here in a wood, and lived as a hermit. Being canonized after his death, the former name of the place, Novigentum, was altered to its present appellation. It was burnt by the English in 1358, and again by the party of the Armagnacs in 14 1 1 . It was at St.
Page 206 - ... shields, each inscribed with the name of some great victory. The internal sides of all the piers are inscribed with the names of 96 victories; under the transversal arches with the names of generals. The northern pier of the eastern principal face bears on its pedestal a group representing the departure of the army in 1792. The Genius of War summons the nation to arms, and warriors of different ages, and in different costumes, are arming and hastening to battle. The dimensions of this and of...
Page 272 - This entrance is situated under the spired turrets forming part of what formerly was the palace of the Prince de Soubise, and is now the PALAIS DES ARCHIVES DE L 'EMPIRE, the entrance of which is in the rue de Paradis.
Page 415 - Abbe de 1'Epee was first brought into notice by the Emperor Joseph II. on his visit to the French capital in 1777 . His sister, Queen Marie Antoinette, soon after visited the school, and the institution was ordered to be transferred by Government to a convent of Celestins, which had been suppressed. This, however, was not carried into effect till 1785. The Abbe de 1'Epee, dying in 1790, was succeeded by the Abbe Sicard, who improved the system of instruction. During the revolution of 1789 this institution...
Page 215 - Opposite stands the larger chapel, of the Doric order, in the form of a cross, surmounted by a dome. Within are two statues, of Louis XVI. and Marie Antoinette, each supported by an angel; on the pedestal of the former his will is inscribed in letters of gold on a black marble slab ; on that of the latter are extracts of the queen's last letter to Mme Elisabeth.
Page 82 - Bachelier en droit : two examinations are necessary for this degree, which is taken at the end of the second year ; the first in the civil code and the institutes of Justinian ; the second in the civil code, and the codes of procedure, penal laws, and criminal process. Licencie en droit : a third year's study is requisite for this degree, and two examinations, besides a public act, one in Roman law, the other in civil and commercial codes, and in administrative law.