The Definitive Guide to Drupal 7 is the most comprehensive book for getting sites done using the powerful and extensible Drupal content management system. Written by a panel of expert authors, the book covers every aspect of Drupal, from planning a successful project all the way up to making a living from designing Drupal sites and to contributing to the Drupal community yourself. With this book you will:
- Follow practical approaches to solving many online communication needs with Drupal with real examples.
- Learn how to keep learning about Drupal: administration, development, theming, design, and architecture.
- Go beyond the code to engage with the Drupal community as a contributing member and to do Drupal sustainably as a business.
The Definitive Guide to Drupal 7 was written by the following team of expert Drupal authors:
Benjamin Melançon, Jacine Luisi, Károly Négyesi, Greg Anderson, Bojhan Somers, Stéphane Corlosquet, Stefan Freudenberg, Michelle Lauer, Ed Carlevale, Florian Lorétan, Dani Nordin, Ryan Szrama, Susan Stewart, Jake Strawn, Brian Travis, Dan Hakimzadeh, Amye Scavarda, Albert Albala, Allie Micka, Robert Douglass, Robin Monks, Roy Scholten, Peter Wolanin, Kay VanValkenburgh, Greg Stout, Kasey Qynn Dolin, Mike Gifford, Claudina Sarahe, Sam Boyer, and Forest Mars, with contributions from George Cassie, Mike Ryan, Nathaniel Catchpole, and Dmitri Gaskin.
For more information, check out the Drupaleasy podcast #63, in which author Benjamin Melançon discusses The Definitive Guide to Drupal 7 in great detail:
What you’ll learn
- Launch a community-ready site in fifteen minutes.
- Talk to stakeholders and architect a site’s structure and functionality around the goals it must achieve to successfully launch major enterprise sites.
- Find, evaluate, and configure modules to extend Drupal’s functionality.
- Theme inspired designs into functional, future-proof templates.
- Build modules when you need to extend what Drupal can do beyond the thousands of solutions already coded by others.
- Work with Drupal sustainably as a professional and as a participant in the Drupal community.
Who this book is for
Anyone who has heard of Drupal and has a personal or professional reason to learn more: from Drupal administrators, themers, and developers to moonlighters and intense hobbyists. People considering a solo or collaborative career making websites will find this book their complete stop for Drupal.
Table of Contents
- Building a Drupal 7 Site
- Essential Tools: Drush and Git
- Building Dynamic Pages Using Views
- There's a Module for That
- Creating Community Web Sites with Organic Groups
- Security in Drupal
- Updating Drupal
- Extending Your Site
- Drupal Community: Getting Help and Getting Involved
- Planning and Managing a Drupal Project
- Documenting for End Users and the Production Team
- Development Environment
- Putting a Site Online and Deploying New Features
- Developing from a Human Mindset
- Advanced Theming
- Introduction to Module Development
- Using Drupal's APIs in a Module
- Refining Your Module
- Porting Modules to Drupal 7
- Writing Project-Specific Code
- Introduction to Functional Testing with Simpletest
- Writing a Major Module
- Drupal Commerce
- Scaling Drupal
- Spice Your Content Up with Tasty Semantics
- The Menu System and the Path Into Drupal
- Under the Hood: Inside Drupal When It Displays a Page
- Search and Apache Solr Integration
- User Experience
- Completing a Site: The Other 90%
- Drupal Distributions and Installation Profiles
- Drupal's Story: A Chain of Many Unexpected Events
- Now You're in Business: Making a Living with Drupal
- Maintaining a Project
- Contributing to the Community
- Appendix A: Updating a Drupal Site from 6 to 7
- Appendix B: Profiling Drupal and Optimizing Performance
- Appendix C: Page Rendering and Altering
- Appendix D: Visual Design in Drupal
- Appendix E: Accessibility
- Appendix F: Windows Development Environment
- Appendix G: Installing Drupal on Ubuntu
- Appendix H: Mac OS X Installation
- Appendix I: Setting Up a Drupal Environment with the Acquia Dev Desktop