Many parts of our society are debating how to power the future while protecting our environment and conserving natural resources, and whether nuclear energy should play a role. Nuclear energy is a complex technology with serious issues and a controversial past. Yet it also has the potential to provide considerable benefits. In pondering the future of this imposing technology, people want to know:
• How safe is nuclear energy?
• Is nuclear energy economically competitive?
• What role can nuclear energy play in meeting greenhouse gas reduction targets?
• What can be done with the radioactive waste it generates?
• Does its use increase the risk of proliferation of nuclear weapons?
• Are there sufficient and secure resources to permit its prolonged exploitation?
• Can tomorrow's nuclear energy be better than today's?
This publication provides authoritative and factual replies to these questions. Written in an accessible and lively style, it will interest anyone who wants to undertand more about nuclear energy today.