Tending Animals in the Global Village: A Guide to International Veterinary Medicine
A book like no other in the field of veterinary medicine with pertinent information every student and practitioner will find beneficial.
Veterinaries have access to a great variety of texts, journals, and continuing education opportunities to keep them on top of the tremendous technological advances in clinical care and preventive medicine. Outside of the technical realm, however, there are many global trends, which exert profound effects on how the veterinary profession serves society and how veterinary professionals define their role in a rapidly changing world. This new and unrivaled book delves into these influences in impressive detail, identifying new challenges and opportunities for the veterinary profession in a global context.
Unique topics covered include:
* The important global trends with implications for veterinary medicine.
* Different cultural attitudes towards the human use of animals, their impact on the human-animal relationship, and the challenges this poses for veterinarians.
* The role of livestock in food security, rural development, and sustainable agriculture and the opportunities for veterinarians to improve the lives of people who depend on animals around the world.
* The relationship of global environmental change to animal health and production.
* The emerging field of conservation medicine and the important role of veterinarians in protecting biodiversity and conserving wildlife.
* A global perspective on veterinary service delivery and the opportunities and challenges for improving animal health care worldwide.
* The growth of international trade, its relation to food safety and animal health, and its impact on animal agricultural and veterinary medicine.
* The growing risk of foreign animal disease, the national and international institutions involved in animal disease control, and the role of the private practitioner in controlling foreign animal disease.
* Nontraditional career paths for veterinarians interested in working internationally and how to identify and prepare for such international career opportunities.