Greene County, 1803-1908 (Google eBook)

Front Cover
Aldine Publishing House, 1908 - Greene Co., O. - 236 pages
0 Reviews
  

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Common terms and phrases

Popular passages

Page 32 - ... in undisputed possession of the Indians, except a strip on the Mississippi, known as the Black Hawk Purchase. Johnson County was, from north to south, in the geographical center of this purchase, and as near the east and west geographical center of the future State of Iowa as could then be made, as the boundary line between the lands of the United States and the Indians, established by the treaty of October 21, 1837, was immediately west of the county limits.
Page 63 - ... the honest payment of our debts and sacred preservation of the public faith; encouragement of agriculture, and of commerce as its handmaid; the diffusion of information and the arraignment of all abuses at the bar of public reason; freedom of religion; freedom of the press; freedom of person under the protection of the habeas corpus; and trial by juries impartially selected.
Page 70 - ... roads are not too bad you can look for those fleeces of wool by to-morrow. Send them on to test the market and price, no back charges. "Yours, HUB.
Page 181 - ... Parker, and he by Dr. Richard S. Rust, the first president. During the first epoch, which terminated with the Civil War, the number of students, largely the children of southern planters, varied from seventy to one hundred. Commendable progress was made in literary culture. The War closed the school, and the ME Church withdrew from the field. On March 10, 1863, DA Payne purchased the property for $10,000, and associated with himself James A. Shorter and Professor John G. Mitchell, in the re-organizing...
Page 64 - Maxwell established, at Cincinnati, "the Centinel of the North-Western Territory," with the motto, " open to all parties influenced by none." It was on a half sheet, royal quarto size, and was the first newspaper printed north of the Ohio River. In 1796, Edward Freeman became the owner of the paper, which he changed to " Freeman's Journal," which he continued until the beginning; of 1800, when he removed to Chillicothe. On the...
Page 181 - Payne ; and the broad principle adopted that there shall never be any distinction among the trustees, faculty or students, on account of race, color or creed. The University began its work in October, 1856, under Rev. MP Gaddis, as principal. He was succeeded by Professor James K. Parker, and he by Dr. Richard S. Rust, the first president. During the first epoch, which terminated with the Civil War, the number of students, largely the children...
Page 56 - ... wit: 200 ginger cakes, 2 bu. hickory nuts, 1 peck of hazel nuts, 10 Ibs. of candy. 10 Ibs. of raisins. delivered at the school house, noon hour, December 25, for the enjoyment and pleasant remembrance of this school. If this meets your approbation you will please sign and return to the undersigned tomorrow, December 24, at noon, saying, over your signature, 'I agree to the above.
Page 81 - A DESCRIPTION OF THE COUNTY AND ITS TOWNSHIPS. Greene County is a member of that very fertile group of counties in southwestern Ohio drained by the two Miami Rivers and their tributaries. In its average value of farm lands per acre ($31.63 according to the census of 1900), Greene County stands twelfth among the 88 counties of the State, and...
Page 67 - Smith. At Cincinnati they were partially uniformed and provided with a limited amount of ammunition. The Ninety-Fourth also participated in Sherman's March to the Sea. and in the Grand Review at Washington. It was mustered out of service June 6, 1865, "with an aggregate of three hundred and thirty-eight men all that was left of them left of one thousand and ten.
Page 144 - Its traveling salesmen cover a large section of the country and its products are shipped to all parts of the United States.

Bibliographic information