Created by the Ohio legislature in 1820 and named for Revolutionary War hero David Williams, Williams County is situated in the northwest corner of Ohio, bordered by Michigan on the north and Indiana on the west. In the early 1830s, settlers began pouring into the county, primarily farm families seeking inexpensive land and new lives on the frontier. Many were European immigrants or the children of immigrants willing to perform the backbreaking labor necessary to clear and drain the forests and convert them into fertile farmlands. Arrival of the Michigan Southern and Northern Indiana Railroad in 1854 opened new markets for local agricultural products and small industries and gave birth to bustling new communities along the rail line. The strong work ethic, faith, entrepreneurial spirit, and sense of community that has characterized the people of Williams Countyapast and presentahas worked a wonderful transformation, turning a wilderness into fine farms and communities offering modern public facilities and services, numerous businesses and industries, and a high quality of life in a rural setting.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
1910 photograph Alvordton automobile became Beech Streets began Blakeslee Brady Township brick church brick school Bridgewater Township Bryan's square built Church Streets Church was organized Cincinnati Northern Railroad Company congregation constructed Cooney County Road County's covered bridge dedicated Defiance County east side Edgerton Edon erected Evansport facility frame building frame church frame depot gristmill hall high school High Street horse-drawn Hotel Jackson and Mackinaw John Joseph River Kunkle Lynn Street Mackinaw Railroad manufactured Melbern Michigan Avenue Michigan Southern miles mill Montpelier Montpelier's North Main Street northeast corner Northwest Township one-room photograph shows photograph was taken Pioneer post office purchased rail replaced residents sawmill school building schoolhouse southeast southwest corner station Stryker surveyed taken looking Tiffin River Toledo and Indiana town two-story undated photograph United Methodist Church Unity's village Wabash Railroad WCPL Photographic Archives west side West Unity Williams Center Williams County atlas Williams County Courthouse