Consumer Culture and Postmodernism (Google eBook)
‘It is great to see the re-publication of the classic Consumer Culture and Postmodernism. The extensive new material is erudite, informative and important, particularly locating consumer culture in the context of global climate change and postmodernism within a framing that seriously displaces the 'west' from centre-stage' - John Urry, Lancaster University
The first edition of this contemporary classic can claim to have put 'consumer culture' on the map, certainly in relation to postmodernism. This expanded new edition includes:
- A fully revised preface that explores the developments in consumer culture since the first edition
- A major new chapter on 'Modernity and the Cultural Question'
- An update on postmodernism and the development of contemporary theory after postmodernism
- An account of multiple and alternative modernities
- The challenges of consumer culture in Japan and China
The result is a book that shakes the boundaries of debate, from one of the foremost writers on culture and postmodernism of the present day.