Catholic Churches of Detroit
Detroit was once known as the City of Churches. From a primitive log chapel on the banks of the Detroit River three centuries ago to the contemporary structures in the far-flung suburbs, the Catholic churches that grace southeastern Michigan pique the interest and admiration of designers, artists, and scholars. Detroit's Catholic churches have embraced many roles during their existence, serving as historical landmarks, centers for political activities, community charities, and anchors for the city's diverse ethnic groups. They symbolize the devotion, strength, and unity that have nurtured the faithful since 1701. The congregation of Ste. Anne, Detroit's first church, persevered to build seven churches over two centuries, each more magnificent than its predecessor.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Old Traditions New Visions
Relegated to History
20th century African-American African-American Catholics Archbishop Edward Mooney Archdiocese architecture Arthur Des Rosiers became an independent began its existence Bishop Michael Gallagher Boulevard building Catholic church chapel church for St church shown church was dedicated city's Clair County closed in June construction dedicated in 1955 dedicated in December demolished designed by Donaldson Diehl and Diehl Donaldson and Meier downtown Detroit east side edifice Edmund Szoka Edward Mooney Eight Mile Eight Mile Road established founding pastor Grand River growing numbers Hamtramck Holy Immaculate Conception immigrants independent parish interior Irish Italians John Dearden Joseph larger church located Mack Mary McGrath and Dohmen Michigan Avenue mission of St Monroe County nearby neighboring St Oakland County oldest parish parish closed parishioners Park permanent church petitioned Bishop Philip Neri Poles Poletown present church relocated residents Road Robert Svoboda Romanesque Sacred Heart southwestern Detroit steeple temporary church Tiger Stadium Warren west side