Master of Middle-earth: The Fiction of J.R.R. Tolkien
As is the case with all great works of art, J. R. R. Tolkien’s masterpieces generously repay close attention and study. In this thoroughly entertaining and perceptive volume, winner of the prestigious Mythopoeic Society Scholarship Award, Professor Kocher examines the sources that Tolkien drew upon in fashioning Middle-earth and its inhabitants—and provides valuable insights into the author’s aims and methods. Ranging from The Hobbit to The Lord of the Rings to The Silmarillion and beyond, Master of Middle-earth opens the door to a deeper and richer appreciation of Tolkien’s magnificent achievement. Inside you will discover
• Why Aragorn is the most misunderstood character in The Lord of the Rings . . . and its true hero.
• The origin of Sauron—and the nature of evil in Tolkien’s universe.
• The opposing forces of destiny and free will in Frodo’s quest.
• The Cosmology of Middle-earth—is it our world at an earlier time, or does it exist in a fantastic Elsewhere?
• How Tolkien’s ideas of morality, religion, and social order underlie every aspect of his life’s work.
Plus a fascinating look at such lesser-known works of Tolkien’s as “Leaf by Niggle,” “Smith of Wootton Major,” and many others!
27 pages matching orcs in this book
Results 1-3 of 27
What people are saying - Write a review
Review: Master of Middle-Earth: The Fiction of JRR TolkienUser Review - Andrea Hickman Walker - Goodreads
This was published before the Silmarillion, which made for interesting reading, as I've read the Silmarillion a few times and know a fair bit about Middle-Earth. There were some suppositions and ... Read full review
Review: Master of Middle-Earth: The Fiction of JRR TolkienUser Review - Karen Floyd - Goodreads
Published in 1971, while Tolkien was still alive and long before the release of the many volumes of Tolkien's unfinished writings, so some of it is a bit outdated. Good insights and analysis of some of Tolkien's then-published work. Read full review
An 1maginary World?
1V Sauron and the Nature of Evil
3 other sections not shown