Arcadia Publishing, 2008 - History - 127 pages
Readington Township was created by royal charter on July 15, 1730, as Readings or Readings Town. The township consists of 48 square miles and is the largest in Hunterdon County. The early settlement patterns of the Dutch, English, and Germans, who came to farm the rich soil of the Raritan Valley during the 18th century, established the foundation of the villages and hamlets of the township. During the 19th century, the development of railroad lines in the region created additional villages and helped to bring the townshipas produce to larger markets. By the latter part of the 20th century, most of Readingtonas inhabitants were employed in diverse industries throughout central New Jersey, and the automobile made travel beyond the villages routine. Like the generations of residents before them, todayas residents remain closely connected to their village communities, and a significant portion of the townshipas land continues to be devoted to agriculture.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
36 Vesey Street Atlas of Hunterdon barn blacksmith building built Campbell's Brook Centerville Central Railroad Cole family Comstock and Cline County Route 523 creamery Cushetunk Mountain dairy Dart's Mill Dilts Dreahook Durling Dutch Reformed Church early East Whitehouse Fire farm farmhouse fire truck firehouse George hamlet Herbert Van Pelt Hoffman Holland Brook homestead horse Hunterdon County intersection Jersey from Recent Jersey Turnpike Kline known today land left to right Lehigh Valley Railroad Main Street Mechanicsville milk Old Highway Old York Road one-room schoolhouse photograph was taken Pickell family picture Pleasant Run post office Potterstown private residence purchased Raritan River Readington resident Readington Road Readington Township Readington Village Readington Volunteer Fire Recent and Actual Rockaway Creek Rockaway Valley Railroad Route 22 Schamp second row shown South Branch Stanton Reformed Church Stickney tavern Three Bridges train Vlerebone Volunteer Fire Company Voorhees wagon Whitehouse Station Whitehouse Village Whitehouse-Flemington Road