The Book of Animal Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is Wrong
Fast on the heels of the New York Times bestseller The Book of General Ignorance comes The Book of Animal Ignorance, a fun, fact-ﬁlled bestiary that is sure to delight animal lovers everywhere. Arranged alphabetically from aardvark to worm, here are one hundred of the most interesting members of the animal kingdom explained, dissected, and illustrated, with the trademark wit and wisdom of John Lloyd and John Mitchinson.
Did you know, for instance, that
• when a young albatross takes wing, it may stay aloft for ten years
• vampire bat saliva—unsurprisingly, when you think about it—is the source of the world’s most powerful blood thinning drug, appropriately called draculin
• bombardier beetles fire a boiling chemical spray out of their rears at 300 pulses per second
• a bald eagle’s feathers weigh twice as much as its bones
• a giant tortoise recently died at the documented age of 255
• octopuses are dexterous enough to unscrew tops from jars
• spider silk is so light that a strand long enough to circle the world would weigh as much as a bar of soap?
So meet the water bears that can live in suspension for hundreds of years, the parasite carried by your cat that makes men grumpy and women promiscuous, and the woodlouse that drinks through its bottom. Marvel at elephants that walk on tiptoe, pigs that shine in the dark, and woodpeckers that have ears on the ends of their tongues.
If you still think a pangolin is a musical instrument, that hyenas are dogs, or that sheep are pointless and stupid, The Book of Animal Ignorance has arrived just in time.
From the Hardcover edition.
What people are saying - Write a review
Review: The Book of Animal Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is WrongUser Review - Tippy Jackson - Goodreads
Right so...first off, I would definitely have to do some research on sources before I repeat any of this as current truth. I get a 404 error when I attempt to check in on the website that is supposed ... Read full review
Review: The Book of Animal Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is WrongUser Review - Emma - Goodreads
A fun little book with stacks of interesting, amusing facts about the wacky, stranger than fiction creatures we share our planet with. This isn't the sort of book you read from cover to cover in one ... Read full review
The Second Book of General Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is ...
John Mitchinson,John Lloyd
No preview available - 2011
Other editions - View all
The Book of Animal Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know is Wrong
John Lloyd Mitchinson,John Lloyd
No preview available - 2012