According to local history, General Robinson, a railroad official from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, named this Ohio town "Alliance" in 1850. Known for a short time as "The Crossing," Robinson believed that Alliance was a better name since the nation's two major railroads intersected here. The name stuck, and in 1854, the communities of Williamsport, Freedom, and Liberty incorporated as the town of Alliance. In 1889, the Village of Mount Union was annexed and Alliance became a city. Not only did the
railroads help form our community, they established Alliance as a city of industry. Even though the town has remained relatively small, with approximately 23,000 citizens in 1990, industry has played a vital role in the development of Alliance. Many citizens
attribute the strong leadership of the town's governing body to its industrial growth. This pictorial compilation documents the growth of the railroad and the stores and factories located along these railroad routes. Even today, the availability
of trains and the intersection of key lines in Alliance is important to manufacturers.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Railroads and Industry
Schools and Churches
4 Continuing Developments
On the Main
Events for Many
City Government Services
Alliance College Alliance Review Alliance's America ALLIANCE Arch Street automobile back row Bank Block brick building built Canton cars Cassaday Charles City Savings Columbia Columbiana County congregation construction dedicated early East Main Street East Patterson Street Ellett employees floor Fred Fred Morris Freedom Avenue front row Gahris George Reeves Glamorgan grocery store Hartshorn Hester Hotel House incorporated Joe Gordon John Johnson Korosy Lamborn late left to right Lexington Township Mahoning Avenue Mahoning County Mastroianni Mathias McCrory's McKinley Morgan Engineering Company Morris Mount Union College name was changed North northwest corner Ohio opened operated Pennsylvania photograph shows picture shows picture was taken plant porte-cochere posed prominent Public Square Purcell purchased railroad Sebring September served Shaffer Smith Township sold South Union Avenue Stark County station Street and Union structure Theatre town train W.H. Morgan West Weybrecht William William McKinley Zang