A thorough introduction to building for the non-expert, this book is a one-stop book reference source for knowing everything important about building structures.
- follow the history of structural understanding
- grasp all the concepts of structural behaviour via step by step explanations
- apply the concepts to a simple building
- see how the concepts also apply to real buildings from Durham Cathedral to the Bank of China
- use the concepts to define the design process
- see how the concepts inform design choices
- understand how engineering and architecture have diverged and what effect this has had
- learn to do simple but relevant numerical calculations for actual structures
- enter the world of structural theory and see how modern techniques are applied.
With over 400 pages and over 1000 user-friendly diagrams, this book is a must for anyone who has to or would like to understand the fascinating world of structures.