- Sports is always a hot topic with the male audience, but these books strive for equal coverage of women (where appropriate). Minority players are featured prominently wherever possible.
- Features include m ni-bios on 5-7 players per sport (except for Extreme Sports, which is broken down by sport rather than player), photos, sidebars, fun facts, a glossary, resources.
- Exciting on-site photography and short, punchy text put the reader where the action is.
CURRICULUM STANDARDS: Grades 5-8 Standards for Social Studies
- Compare similarities and differences in the ways groups, societies, and cultures meet human needs and concerns.
- Articulate implications of cultural diversity, and cohesion, within and across groups.
Time, Continuity, & Change
- Identify key concepts such as chronology, causality, change, and conflict to explain connections among patterns of historical change and continuity.
- Develop critical sensitivities such as empathy and skepticism regarding attitudes, values, and behaviors of people in different historical contexts.
Individual Development & Identity
- Relate such factors as physical endowment and capabilities, learning motivation, personality, perception and behavior to individual development.
- Identify the influence of perception, attitudes, values, and beliefs on personal identity.
- Identify examples of stereotyping, conformity, and altruism.
Individuals, Groups, & Institutions
- Demonstrate understanding of role and status in describing the interactions of individuals and social groups.
- Analyze group and institutional influences on people, events, and elements of culture.
What people are saying - Write a review
Nice BookUser Review - Overstock.com
My 11 year old loves hockey. This is a good book for a boy to read.
2006 game played Alex Ovechkin Alex scored Atlanta Thrashers Born Boxers Calgary Flames Cougars defenseman Detroit Red Wings dream Dynamo hockey club forward who plays goals scored goaltender gold medal Henrik Lundqvist highest number hockey at age hockey player ice hockey league January 2006 game Jarome lginla Jersey Devils Junior Hockey League league in Russia Left Wing Height llya Kovalchuk llya's Major Junior Hockey Marek Svatos Martin Brodeur Moscow Dynamo hockey National Hockey League National Team NHL draft NHL Experience NHL fans NHL lockout Nicklas helped Nicklas played opponents penalty picked first overall Pittsburgh Penguins points power play puck goes QMJHL right wing RleKander Ovechhin rookie Russian Moscow Dynamo score goals shutout Sid the Kid Sidney Crosby slap shot Stanley Cup Finals started playing hockey talent teammates top goalie top ice hockey Toronto Maple Leafs Trophy Washington Capitals win the Stanley York Rangers young players