Galignani's Illustrated Paris Guide for 1889 ... (Google eBook)

Front Cover
Galignani Library, 1889 - Paris (France) - 306 pages
0 Reviews
  

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Common terms and phrases

Popular passages

Page 220 - Close to this spot there is one of the entrances to the CATACOMBS. These immense receptacles for the bones of the dead were devoted to that purpose in 1784, when the Council of State issued a decree for clearing the cemetery of the Innocents, and for removing its contents, as well as those of other cemeteries, into the quarries that had existed from a remote period beneath the southern part of Paris, and by which several streets are undermined.
Page 271 - It is 14 feet in height by 10 in breadth, and 12 and a half in length. It is adorned with twelve composite columns of deep blue marble, and 12 pilasters of white marble. At the angles are four bronze figures representing the cardinal virtues.
Page 157 - ... of them have now been replaced. Above will be seen the Galerie de la Vierge, now, as it formerly was, decorated with a colossal statue of the Virgin between two angels holding chandeliers ; right and left are figures of Adam and Eve. Above this gallery is the large rose-window between the towers, and in each of the latter are pointed arches, over which runs a lofty gallery of slender shafts, called the Galerie des Colonnes, and continued round the sides ; above rises the last division of the...
Page 171 - The total height is 13 % feet. In the gallery which encircles the crypt is a recess, called the Chapelle Ardente, containing the sword the Emperor wore at Austerlitz, the insignia he used to wear on state occasions, the crown of gold voted by the town of Cherbourg, and the colours taken in different battles. At the furthest end of the recess is the statue of the Emperor in his imperial robes, due to the chisel of Simart. This reliquaire is closed with gilt doors.
Page 221 - ... order, except that those from each cemetery were kept separate. In 1810, a regular system of arranging the bones was commenced under the direction of M. Hericart de Thury. Openings were made in many places to admit air, channels formed to carry off the water, steps were constructed from the lower to the upper excavations, pillars erected to support the dangerous parts of the vault, and the skulls and bones built up along the walls. For...
Page 88 - In the last five rooms the drawings are mostly arranged under glazed frames on inclined desks. These rooms were formerly those reserved for state purposes, and under Charles X. were used for the reception of the Chambers before the opening of the legislative session. The first of the suite was formerly an...
Page 158 - Septentrional, is a statue of the Virgin crushing the dragon. In the tympan above are the Nativity, the Adoration of the Wise Men, the Presentation in the Temple, the Massacre of the Innocents, the Flight into Egypt, and five scenes of the Deliverance of Demoniacs. Above sits a monarch presenting a sealed volume to suppliants kneeling. The arches are ornamented like the others. Statues of Faith, Hope, Charity, and of the three Wise Men of the East, which...
Page 252 - In 1685, Louis XIV. signed the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, and in the following year the great Conde...
Page 26 - Parisii one of the 64 tribes of the Gallic confederation, whose chief town was Lutetia. Two bridges established communications with the opposite banks of the Seine, which were covered with extensive marshes or gloomy forests, and the inhabitants, who were remarkably fierce, supported themselves chiefly by hunting and fishing. Under the dominion of the Romans, this tribe remained in the same state of insignificance as before; their progress in civilisation was slow, and even the worship of the Roman...
Page 268 - FfiTE of St. Cloud begins every year on the 7th of September, and lasts three weeks. It is held in the park, and is well worth visiting.

Bibliographic information