What You Can Change and What You Can't: The Complete Guide to Successful Self-Improvement Learning to Accept Who You Are
True or false?
* Dieting down to your "ideal" weight will prolong your life.
* Reliving childhood trauma can undo adult personality problems.
* Alcoholics have addictive personalities.
* Psychoanalysis helps cure anxiety.
If you think any of these statements are true, get rready for a shock. In the climate of self-improvement that has reigned for the last twenty years, misinformation about treatments for everything from alcohol abuse to sexual dysfunction has flourished. Those of us trying to change these conditions often experience the frustration of failure, mixed success, or success followed by a relapse. But have you ever asked yourself: can my condition really be changed? And if so, am I going about it in the most effective way?
In this meticulously researched book, Martin Seligman, distinguished psychologist and bestselling author of LEARNED OPTIMISM, helps us realize clearly and realistically exactly what we can change and what we can't. Grounding his conclusions in the most recent and most authoritative scientific studies, Seligman pinpoints the techniques and therapies that work best for each condition, explains why they work, and discusses how you can use them to change your life. Inside, you'll discover:
* The four natural healing factors for recovering from alcoholism
* The vital difference between overeating and being overweight, and why dieters always gain back the pounds they "lost"
* The four therapies that work for depression, and how you can "dispute" your way to optimistic thinking
* The pros and cons of anger, and the steps to take to understand it
* And much more!
What people are saying - Write a review
After readig this book I asked myself the following:
Need to lose weight?
How to lose weight fast ?
How to lose weight in a week ? And now ... read my successful story here
Some excerpts from my diary:
- care personal and fitness exercise equipment abdominal
- sleep related eating disorder
- side effects of steroids
- exercise for sciatica back pain
- personal abdominal exercise fitness care and equipment
- abdominal exercise safety concerns
Review: What You Can Change and What You Can't: The Complete Guide to Successful Self-ImprovementUser Review - Su Osman - Goodreads
I have made no notable progress in my life after reading this book but to be fair; false advertising has never seized to make me too optimistic. Read full review
What Changes? What Doesnt Change?
The Age of Self Improvement and Psychotherapy
The Age of Biological Psychiatry
16 other sections not shown