The Florida Keys: A History & Guide Tenth Edition (Google eBook)
The Florida Keys: A History & Guide is an engaging handbook to the unique coral and limestone islands that curve southwest off the tip of Florida. Acclaimed novelist and Florida resident Joy Williams traces U.S. Highway 1 from Key Largo to Key West, combining the best of local legend—colorful stories you won’t find in other guidebooks—with insightful commentary and the most up-to-date advice on where to stay, eat, and wander. Along the way, you will:
• explore the exquisite underwater world of North America’s only living reef
• discover the beautiful bridges that span the Keys, the forts, and the distinctive “conch” architecture of Key West
• experience the eerie serenity of Florida Bay’s “backcountry” and the unique ecology of the Keys
• visit the Key West cemetery and learn about the lives of some of the Keys’ eccentrics—writers, madmen, and entrepreneurs with various delusions
• find the best (and avoid the worst) cafés, inns, and other establishments that the Keys have to offer
Here is the most thorough and candid guide to the Keys, one of the most surprising locales in America. With insight and style, Joy Williams shares with us all of the region’s idiosyncrasies and delights.
From the Trade Paperback edition.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Audubon backcountry beach beautiful Big Pine Bight birds boat breakfast brick bridge building built called color Conch Republic coral Cuba Cuban dive dolphins Duval Street Everglades feet ﬁlled ﬁnd ﬁne ﬁre ﬁrst ﬁsh ﬁshing ﬁve Flagler ﬂats Florida Keys ﬂowers garden Grassy Key green Hemingway herons House hurricane Indian Key Islamorada Key Colony Beach Key Largo Key lime Key Vaca Key West land lighthouse Lignumvitae live Long Key lovely Mallory Square mangrove Marathon Marina Matecumbe Miami miles mosquito Motel named Navy nice night ocean once palms park pier Pigeon Key Plantation Key pool pretty railroad reef restaurant road rock rooms Roosevelt Boulevard Sand Key light shark ships shrimp Simonton snorkeling sponges Stock Island sunset Telephone There’s thing tiny Tortugas tour tourist town trees trips tropical Truman Truman Annex turtles West’s Whitehead wreck