Cheshire antiquities, Roman, baronial, and monastic: a re-publ. of orig. copper plates, engr. by J. Strutt, with descriptions &c. By C. Hulbert (Google eBook)

Front Cover
1838
0 Reviews
  

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Contents

Common terms and phrases

Popular passages

Page 55 - Now therefore in the sight of all Israel the congregation of the LORD, and in the audience of our God', keep and seek for all the commandments of the LORD your God...
Page 10 - Lacy, his constable, for assistance. This officer was at that time attending the fair, and being assisted by Ralph Dutton, his son-in-law, collected immediately a numerous body of the rabble, who had met together in consequence of the privilege : with this motley company, he advanced...
Page 9 - The cathedral is situated on the east side of North-gate-street. It was originally a nunnery, founded by Walphenes, King of the Mercians, for his daughter St. Werburgh, to whom it is dedicated. It afterwards became the abbey church of a monastery of Benedictines, founded by Hugh Lupus.
Page 30 - A little before day, captain Sandford (a zealous royalist) who came out of Ireland with eight of his firelocks, crept up the steep hill of Beeston castle and got into the upper ward, and took possession there. It must be done by treachery, for the place was most impregnable. Capt. Steel, who kept it for the parliament, was accused and suffered for it...

Bibliographic information