A Guide to the Lions of Philadelphia: Comprising a Description of the Places of Amusement, Exhibitions, Public Buildings, Public Squares, &c. in the City, and of the Placers of Public Resort and Objects of Interest and Curiosity in the Environs : Designed as a Pocket Cicerone for Strangers (Google eBook)

Front Cover
Thomas T. Ash and Company, 1837 - Philadelphia (Pa.) - 80 pages
0 Reviews
  

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Common terms and phrases

Popular passages

Page 26 - That the objects of the said corporation shall be the promotion and encouragement of manufactures and the mechanic and useful arts, by the establishment of popular lectures on the sciences connected with them, by the formation of a cabinet of models and minerals. and a library, by offering premiums on all objects deemed worthy of encouragement, by examining all new inventions submitted to them, and by such other measures as they may judge expedient (/). In time these general aims came into sharper...
Page 29 - PENNSYLVANIA. THE UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA, Ninth Street below Market, was established in 1750 as a charity school and an academy, through the exertions of a few public-spirited individuals, among whom Dr. Franklin was prominent, chartered and endowed in 1750, erected into a college in 1755, and into a University in 1779. The building first occupied by this school, was that known as "The Old Academy," in Fourth below Arch Street, originally built as a meeting-house by the friends of the Eev.
Page 69 - ... spacious receiving vault; an observatory, commanding a charming view of the river and opposite shore; stabling, &c., sufficient to accommodate over forty carriages; and a hot-house, where flowers, plants, and shrubs of every variety are cultivated with the greatest care. The entrance on the Ridge Road presents a bold and commanding appearance, through which is a vista of remarkable beauty.
Page 48 - Montgomery is the present rector. 7. St Andrew's, in Eighth street between Locust and Spruce streets, was consecrated on the 31st of May 1823. The character of the edifice is Grecian. The front is intended to be a copy of the portico of the temple of Bacchus at Teas. The interior of the building is of a similar character of architecture, and highly decorated. A spire, the foundation of which is laid, is intended to be added to the western end of the building. The whole length of the church, including...
Page 26 - Institute, it will be sufficient for us to say that it affords to any respectable person, who chooses to become a member, the privilege of hearing, with his family and apprentices, for a very moderate fee, excellent courses of lectures on natural philosophy, chemistry and other scientific and literary subjects.
Page 28 - Musical Fund. The Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia was instituted in the month of February 1820, and incorporated, by an act of the legislature of Pennsylvania, in the spring of 1823. Its objects are the relief of distressed musicians and their families, and the cultivation of taste and proficiency in the musical art.
Page 38 - The proceeds of the public lands, together with the arrears, were the fund which not only discharged all the public debts, but left a large surplus. The apprehension that this would be squandered by the Legislature was the principal inducement for chartering the Bank of Pennsylvania with a capital of two millions of dollars, of which the State subscribed one half. This and similar subsequent investments enabled Pennsylvania to defray out of the dividends all the expenses of government without any...
Page iv - Union, in the Clerk's Office of the District Court of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. t 5 .. PREFACE.
Page 42 - ... Trautwine, architect, at 24 Exchange. The 1837 Guide to Philadelphia gives a picture of the Exchange and comments of it that "It serves the purpose of a commercial and financial center of the city." It notes that there is a bar on the ground floor and after describing the principal story concludes, "The building is surmounted by a cupola, which affords a commanding view of the commercial part of the city and the river.
Page 60 - The Dock Street front of the Exchange was the headquarters for the omnibus lines in Philadelphia and the same guidebook in describing another sight in Philadelphia in 1837, the Fairmount Waterworks, notes, "A stranger may take passage in an omnibus at the Merchants' Exchange, and reach the water works in half an hour.

Bibliographic information