Whatever your situation—as sports medicine specialist, researcher, health educator, coach—the problem of anabolic steroid use and abuse is a continuing issue for all sport professionals.
Edited by Dr. Charles Yesalis, a recognized authority with 20 years experience in the field of drug abuse, Anabolic Steroids in Sport and Exercise, second edition, is the most comprehensive reference text available today, offering the following features:
- Up-to-date clinical research and reference material concerning the use and abuse of steroids among professional, Olympic-level, college, and high school athletes
- Expanded data on the health effects, with particular emphasis on women's issues related to steroid abuse
- New information concerning steroid use among U.S. and foreign collegians, adolescents, and bodybuilders
- The latest information concerning the legal aspects of steroid usage in sports and exercise
- Important information on drug testing including a history of the politics surrounding the practice and up-to-date scientific findings
This revised and expanded second edition of Anabolic Steroids in Sport and Exercise incorporates the latest research, experience and insights of 15 experts on the scientific, clinical, historical, legal, and other aspects of steroid abuse and drug testing. It provides a historical perspective on their use and abuse in exercise and sport, their physical and psychological effects, and issues relating to dependency, testing, intervention, withdrawal, treatment programs, and the legal ramifications of steroid use and abuse.
Part I presents a historical perspective of anabolic steroids: their development, incidence of usage in sports and exercise, and methods of prevention.
Part II explores the physical results of steroid use on body composition, performance, and health; women's issues related to steroid use; the psychological effects produced by these substances; physical and psychological dependence; assessing and treating steroid abuse, dependence and withdrawal; and the legal issues arising from their use.
Part III addresses the evolution of drug testing, the political controversies surrounding steroid use, and alternative strategies for dealing with steroid abuse.
Anabolic Steroids in Sport and Exercise, second edition, will give you an up-to-date, comprehensive understanding of all aspects of steroid use and abuse as well as testing, treatment, and prevention options.