Thoroughly updated from the previous edition, Brain & Behavior: An Introduction to Biological Psychology, Second EditionÂ is the only text that focuses on the “big picture” to provide a highly accessible introduction to the biology of behavior, from emotions to perception to consciousness.
To view an Interactive Book Tour of this text, click here:Â
"Very nice illustrations, I like that it is a paperback book. Information is presented at a good level for college students."
-Lisa Kreber, Ph.D, Centre for Neuro Skills (CNS)
Author Bob Garrett engages students right from the startÂ by providing student-friendlyÂ content and useful pedagogy. The integration of sensory material into behavioral contexts enhances student interest in topics they often regard as boring. The text includes two chapters not found in other biopsychology texts, on the biological bases of intelligence and consciousness. These discussions build on material from earlier chapters to make a final and convincing case for the power of biological psychology to explain human behavior.
New to the Second Edition
- Includes more than 500 new references, with 37% of them from 2004 and later.
- Expands on and combines the material on research techniques that was previously in the appendix with two topics from the first edition's introductory chapter, Science, Research, and Theory and Research Ethics, to form the new chapter The Methods and Ethics of Research.
- Contains more than 60 new illustrations, and 25 others were significantly revised to increase their informational and educational value.
- Presents new tablesÂ
- Incorporates thoroughly updated In the News and Application features with the most current information.
- Integrates the latest findings in our rapidly increasing understanding of genetic influences on behavior
- Strengthens the theme of the broader societal relevance of biopsychology
Popular features retainedÂ from the earlier edition:
- ContainsÂ an eye-catching four-color interior design and extensive illustrative art program
- Covers intelligence & consciousness in their own separate chapters, which is unique compared to the competition
- Explores drugs and addiction in a separate chapter
- Brings the focus on behavior to the forefront.
- Contains opening vignettes of real life topics that help to make the chapter content come alive
- Gives “Concept Checks” at the end of each main section within the chapter that are designed to assist the student in assessing their comprehension of that section.
- Offers marginal questions throughout the text help keep students focused on the most important points in the chapters
- Provides useful end-of- chapter pedagogy such as: “In Perspective” sections followed by a summary of the key points in the chapter; “For Further Thought” sections that require the student to think about and complete brief projects that will assist them in their understanding of the chapter content; and “Test Your Understanding” sections that appear at the end of every chapter help students assess their progress in learning the material presented. This feature contains short answer and multiple choice questions.
The robust ancillaries include:
- An Instructor's Resource CD-ROM that contains a computerized test bank, PowerPoint Slides, sample syllabi, and suggested in-class and homework assignments.
- The Student Study Site atÂ http://www.sagepub.com/garrettbb2study that consists ofÂ stunning animations of key biological phenomena, self-quizzes, key term flashcards, SAGE journal articles with accompanying exercises, and web links with accompanying exercises.
- Biopsychology Updates from the author providing chapter-by-chapter summaries of recent research as well as news in the field at http://brainandbehavior.com
- The Student Study Guide that offers chapter outlines; learning objectives; summary and guided reviews (incorporating key terms and concepts); short-answer and essay questions; and chapter post-tests
This book is an ideal textbook for lower-level undergraduate courses in Biological Psychology, Biopsychology, Psychobiology, Physiological Psychology, Introduction to Neuroscience, and Biological Foundations of Behavior.
Praise for the Second Edition of Brain & Behavior:
"Great book- excellent instructional design and graphics with practical applications."
-Robin Steed, MA, LOTR, Louisiana State University Health Science Center
“My students liked the organization of Garrett. They thought it was easy to read and an appropriate resource for this course.”
-Charles Long, University of Memphis
“I have been searching for a book that would thoroughly treat all of the concepts in brain and behavior while also being easy enough for the student to read without becoming overwhelmed. I think that the Garrett text might be an answer to my problem.”
-Natalie Ceballos, Texas State University
“The key issues in teaching biopsychology are getting students focused on the material and making it interesting enough for them to be willing to read the text. Garrett does a good job of assisting with this process of making material meaningful and practical to students.”
-Susan A. Todd, Bridgewater State College
“Garrett deliversâ€¦using every day applications to provide a context for making dry material much more interesting.”
-Patricia Bach, Illinois Institute of Technology
“The topics covered and the additions indicate that this is a very comprehensive, very current, and interesting text.”
-Mindy Miserendino, Sacred Heart University