The Austrians: A Thousand-Year Odyssey

Front Cover
Basic Books, 2003 - History - 483 pages
5 Reviews
Who are the Austrians and what is their significance as a nation? Are they the heirs of composers such as Mozart and Schubert, of revolutionary thinkers such as Freud and Wittgenstein, or of politicians such as Hitler and Kurt Waldheim? To what extent have the Austrians come to terms with their Nazi past, as opposed to the Germans? Is their future founded in the Holy Roman Empire, the Austro-Hungarian Habsburg Dynasty, or the Anschluss? These are some of the questions noted historian Gordon Brook-Shepherd addresses in this authoritative work. With a lifetime's personal intimacy with Austria, associations with several of its leaders, and access to private Habsburg family archives, Brook-Shepherd traces the identity of a nation, as it developed over a millennium, at the heart of Europe's political existence.
  

What people are saying - Write a review

User ratings

5 stars
0
4 stars
1
3 stars
3
2 stars
0
1 star
1

LibraryThing Review

User Review  - MarthaJeanne - LibraryThing

Brook-Shepherd seems to know the Austrian 1% really well, but has no insight into the other 99%. I thought all along that this book had a rather peculiar take on Austrian history, but the Waldheim bit ... Read full review

Review: The Austrians: A Thousand-Year Odyssey

User Review  - Peter Sørensen - Goodreads

A very interesting story about the History of, not just Austria, but the whole of Europe. Also a valuable insight in to how the apocalypse of the two world wars came about. Read full review

Contents

The Path to Kakania
57
Fin de Siécle
125
Balkan Storm Signals
137
PART FOUR The Road to Destruction
169
PART F IVE The Road to Hitler
231
Brief Honeymoon
323
Unhappy Marriage
334
The Wait for Freedom
377
EPILOGUE Perceptions
451
NOTE ON BIBLIOGRAPHY
457
Copyright

Common terms and phrases

About the author (2003)

Brook-Shepherd is author of 16 books.

Bibliographic information