Sinnett's picture of Paris (Google eBook)

Front Cover
1845
0 Reviews
  

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Selected pages

Common terms and phrases

Popular passages

Page 294 - LESSONS ON THE GLOBES, On a Plan entirely new, in which, instead of being separately studied, they are taken together in Illustration of Terrestrial and Celestial Phenomena: with Original Familiar Explanations of the ever-varying circumstances of our Planet and the Solar System generally. Illustrated by Fifty-eight Engravings ou Wood.
Page 53 - In case of death, a declaration thereof should immediately be made at the mairie by the relatives or friends of the deceased, or by the person at whose house the death took place. The body is then visited by a physician appointed by the mayor to ascertain the causes of dissolution, and cannot be interred without authorisation from him, nor until 24 hours after the decease, except in cases otherwise provided for by the regulations of the police. The burial takes place two days after the death. If...
Page 173 - From the introduction of Christianity into France to the time of St. Louis, the few books existing in the kingdom belonged to the numerous convents which had been successively established, and were confined to copies of the Bible, treatises of the fathers, canons, missals, and a few Greek and Latin authors. St. Louis caused copies to be made of all these manuscripts, and had them arranged in a room attached to the Sainte Chapelle.
Page 293 - BEZANT. GEOGRAPHICAL QUESTIONS classed under heads, and interspersed with HISTORY and GENERAL INFORMATION. Adapted for the Use of Classes in LADIES' and GENTLEMEN'S SCHOOLS, and to the purposes of Private Teaching. By J. BEZANT, Teacher of Geography, the Classics, Mathematics, &c. Demy 18mo., strongly bound, price 2s. A KEY to the above, price 2s. bound in Leather.
Page 248 - Museum is on the second floor, and consists of 12 rooms and a long gallery, containing a complete collection of foreign china, and the materials used in its fabrication ; a collection of the china, earthenware, and pottery of France, and the earths of which they are composed...
Page 124 - At the entrance of the nave are two shells of the largest tridachna gigas known, resting upon curious rockwork in marble, executed by Pigalle ; they were given to Francis I. by the Republic of Venice. The pulpit is entirely supported by two flights of steps, and ornamented with figures of Faith, Hope, and Charity. The organ-gallery rests on twelve magnificent Composite columns.
Page 197 - Pont, which originally formed the only communication between the lie de la Cite and the northern bank of the Seine. Upon this bridge, which was of wood, Louis VII., in 1141, fixed the residence of money-changers, and prohibited them from dwelling elsewhere. From this circumstance it derives its name. Several times destroyed and rebuilt, it was burnt down in 1G21, and reconstructed in 1647 of stone, with houses on each side, which were demolished in 1788.
Page 101 - The bas-reliefs of the shaft pursue a spiral direction from the base to the capital, and display in chronological order the principal actions of the campaign, from the departure of the troops from Boulogne to the battle of Austerlitz. The figures are three feet high ; their number is said to be two thousand, and the length of the spiral band eight hundred and forty feet.
Page 142 - Theatre Illustre." In 1658, they performed in the Salle des Gardes at the Louvre before Louis XIV., who, being satisfied with their performance, assigned them a gallery in the Hotel du Petit Bourbon as a theatre. In 1660, they removed to the Theatre du Palais Royal, built by Cardinal Richelieu, and assumed the title of " la Troupe Rvyale*" Under the reigns of Louis XV.
Page 202 - Aqueduc de Belleville. This aqueduct was built under Philip Augustus. The first reservoir is situated upon the most elevated point of Belleville. At the Barriere de Menilmontant is another reservoir, whence the water is distributed to the adjoining parts of Paris.

Bibliographic information