H. Jackson Brown, Jr. originally wrote Life's Little Instruction Book(tm) as a gift for his son who was leaving home to begin his freshman year in college. Brown says, "I read years ago that it was not the responsibility of parents to pave the road for their children but to provide a road map, and I wanted to provide him with what I had learned about living a happy and rewarding life." Life's Little Instruction Book(tm) is a guidebook that gently points the way to happiness and fulfillment. The observations are direct, simple, and as practical as an umbrella.
"But it's not just for young people," says Brown. "Most of us already know how to live a successful and purposeful life. We know we should be more understanding and thoughtful, more responsible, courageous and appreciative. It's just that we sometimes need reminding." Life's Little Instruction Book(tm) is that reminder, as well as the perfect gift for a relative or a friend who needs encouragement at any time of the year.
- Never give up on anybody. Miracles happen every day.
- Be brave. Even if you're not, pretend to be. No one can tell the difference.
- Think big thoughts, but relish small pleasures.
- Learn to listen. Opportunity sometimes knocks softly.
- Never deprive someone of hope; it might be all they have.
- Be kinder than necessary.
- Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know.
- Commit yourself to constant self-improvement.
- Don't major in minor things.
- Never cut what can be untied.
Since its debut in 1991, Life's Little Instruction Book(tm) has revolutionized the publishing industry. This little plaid book, which has been embraced the world over, has sold more than nine million copies, spent more than two years atop the New York Times bestseller list, and has been translated into 33 languages. Though originally written as a gift from a father to a son, its simple message has been enjoyed by men and women of all ages around the world.