Stop Getting Ripped Off: Why Consumers Get Screwed, and How You Can Always Get a Fair Deal
New York Times bestselling author of Gotcha Capitalism and MSNBC.com "Red Tape Chronicles" columnist Bob Sullivan strikes again to help you evade the financial traps big businesses set for unwary consumers—and shows you how to get the best possible deals every single time.
Today's marketplace is full of hidden fees, fine print, and other booby traps designed to trip you up and take your money. You may be losing big even when you think you're getting a steal! But with Sullivan's keen guidance and sensible advice, you can save money and regain control of your financial life. Clearly and concisely, Sullivan reveals
• why American consumers make such easy targets for corporate America (you'll be stunned, for example, at how poor our math skills are)
• how Wall Street will skim off one third of your retirement money (avoid this trap with Sullivan's new "Pitfall-Proof Pyramid")
• the myths behind credit-card reward programs and "the 21st-Century Bank Account"
• the real numbers to focus on when buying a new car
• why you should spend more time shopping for your mortgage than your home
• the key questions you must ask before buying life insurance
• the secrets to saving for college and paying off student loans the right way
• the best deals on cell phones and pay-TV service
With Sullivan's empowering message, financial savvy, and knowledge of consumers' wants and needs, you can outsmart the system, keep your hard-earned cash, and finally stop getting ripped off. And you'll become part of a growing grass-roots movement to rein in the abuses of corporate America before consumers get hurt by another boom-and-bust cycle.
From the Trade Paperback edition.
What people are saying - Write a review
Review: Stop Getting Ripped Off: Why Consumers Get Screwed, and How You Can Always Get a Fair DealUser Review - dejah_thoris - Goodreads
Must-read even if you're fairly financially savvy like I am. TONS of tips to save money and invest WISELY. Totally gotta set aside some time to convert my ebook highlights to actual notes. Covers everything from cell phones to insurance in layman's terms. Read full review
Review: Stop Getting Ripped Off: Why Consumers Get Screwed, and How You Can Always Get a Fair DealUser Review - Anko - Goodreads
Good financial book. Learned a lot. About to apply some of these to improve my financial situation. Long way to go but at least I have a plan and some big goals. One thing I can attest to is that the 'just ask' strategy works more often than most people realize. Try it. Read full review