The Topsham and Bowdoinham Register, 1905 (Google eBook)

Front Cover
H.E. Mitchell Company, 1904 - Topsham (Me.) - 133 pages
0 Reviews
  

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Related books

Common terms and phrases

Popular passages

Page 65 - Monmouth has been arranged in families where that arrangement has been possible. In these families, in addition to the resident living members, the names of the non-resident members are included. It should be borne in mind that this plan does not include the names of all former residents of this town, as the names of the non-residents appear only when one or both of the parents are still living in the town.
Page 65 - ... all former residents of this town, as the names of the non-residents appear only when one or both of the parents are still living in the town. After the name of each non-resident will be found the present address, when such address has been given to us. Non-residents are indicated by the (*). When a daughter in a family has married, her name taken in marriage appears after her given name in parenthesis, the name preceded by a small m, thus: (m ). Following the names of the population is the occupations.
Page 65 - Turner has been arranged herewith in families where that arrangement has been possible. In these families, in addition to the resident living members, the names of the non-resident members are included. It should be borne in mind that this plan does not include the names of all former residents of this town as the names of the non-residents appear only when one or both the parents are still living in the town.
Page 65 - ... pi; housework — ho; laborer — lab; physician and surgeon— phy & sur; clergyman— clerg; merchant — mer; teacher — tr; blacksmith — blk; clerk — cl; bookkeeper— bk kpr; lawyer— law; mechanic mech...
Page 11 - After the settlement in 1758. the Kennebec (or Plymouth) Company holding the title to a large tract north of Merrymeeting Bay, sold the land in sections, one mile wide on the Kennebec river, extending five miles back.
Page 13 - Many of these settlers, however, forfeited their lots in consequence of their non-fnllilinent of the required conditions. In 1722 the fourth Indian, or Lovewell's, war commenced, and the situation of the settlers here became so disagreeable that they nearly all abandoned their homes, and it was not until about 1730 that the settlement was renewed. Those who are known to have remained are John Minot, Andrew Dunning and his sons, William Woodside and Ebenezer Stanwood and their sons, William Simpson...
Page 20 - In 1779 the Plantation of Richmond was added making a frontage of ten miles on the Kennebec River.
Page 20 - Preble, Zaccheus Beals, and Joshua Bickford, selectmen and assessors; and Agreen Crabtree, constable and collector.
Page 30 - In 1785 the building of vessels took its start on a permanent basis and...
Page 39 - In 1765 the town voted to build a house for the worship of God.

Bibliographic information