in a school at Long View, Texas. He later attended the schools of Sherman, both the grammar and high schools, and being a graduate of the latter. His parents could not afford to send him to college so as soon as his high school course was completed he went to work. This was at the age of nineteen and his first position was in a machine shop in Sherman. After a short time here he entered the employ of a railroad company in Sherman, remaining in this place for two years. His next move was to enter the service of the Electric Company in Sherman as an engineer at the power house. He was with this power company for a year and a half and then worked for the city of Sherman as a stationary engineer for two years. Each one of these positions was an advance over the one he had previously filled and he was hard at work all the time, improving each opportunity to acquire further knowledge and fit himself for holding more responsible positions.

It was in 1900 that he came to Gainesville, Texas, as chief engineer for the Texas Power and Light Company, which was at that time owned by the Gainesville Electric Company. He was at that time only twenty-six years of age and it was a fine position for him. He served in this capacity for five years and was then appointed general superintendent and chief engineer. Until December 1, 1912, he held this position and then he received the promotion to the position of local manager, a post which he has filled ever since. During the time in which Mr. Geer has been in charge of this plant it has been increased in size by about two-thirds of its former size. He has given satisfaction not only to the officials of the company but to the public.

In politics Mr. Geer is a member of the Democratic party and he has always taken a keen interest in politics. He has served four consecutive terms as a member of the city council, eight years in all. In religious matters he is a member of the Presbyterian church. He has been prominent in both the fraternal orders of which he is a member, being a Past Noble Grand of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and also a member of the Grand Lodge of Texas, and in the Knights of Pythias he has held several chairs.

Mr. Geer was married to Miss Adele Whitehurst, on December 19, 1894. She was born in Tennessee, a daughter of Med Whitehurst, of that state, her mother also being a native Tennesseean. Mr. Whitehurst has been connected with the Gas Company in Sherman for many years and her parents make their home in the latter city. She is one of five children, the others being as follows: Eugene, of Corpus Christi. Texas; Joseph D., of Los Angeles, California; Other, of Amarillo, Texas and Elaine, of Sherman, Texas. To Mr. Geer and his wife six children have been born, namely, John, who is in the high school of Gainesville; Dewey, Louis, Arthur Lee and Marie who are all in school; and Charlie, who is too small to go to school. ,

Jesse Newton Bass. Retired from active business since 1903, Jesse Newton Bass may yet look back and contemplate with satisfaction the most strenuous career as a farmer and business man. He was widely known as an agricultural man in Texas up to 1886, when he established himself in the grocery business in Gainesville, and here continued in business until he felt himself able to retire from active operations. He is a native son of Tennessee, born in Haywood in 1836, and is the son of Barnibas and Penelope (Milford) Bass. The father was a farmer and a native of Alabama, and the paternal grandfather of Mr. Bass was also of the same nativity and occupation.

Jesse Newton Bass is one of the twelve children born to his parents, of which goodly number ten reached years of maturity, and of which three are living today. Albert W. is a resident of Jackson county, Arkansas, where he is living as a well-to-do retired farmer. Jesse Newton is the second oldest living child, and the third is Edna, the

widow of William Highfield, of Scott county, Arkansas. Mr. Bass was reared to young manhood on his father's farms, going with the family to Arkansas in 1844. He lacked an education of any sort, and the only acquaintance he has with schools and schooling is represented by five days spent by him in a writing school in Brazos, Texas. When the family moved to Arkansas, the father purchased land there and devoted himself to farming during the remainder of his life, and he lived to reach the age of seventy-eight years.

When Jesse Bass was twenty-five years old he launched out for himself, making his way first to Texas, where he stayed until the Civil war broke out. He then enlisted promptly in a Confederate regiment and served throughout the long war in the Army of Tennessee. Mr. Bass saw much active service, and had an opportunity to become thoroughly familiar with every aspect of war. He was captured at Vicksburg during the siege of fortyeight days and nights, and besides the Vicksburg affairs, participated in five of the bloodiest battles of the war. During all his service he received but one injury, that being a gun shot wound in the neck, which proved not too serious.

With the close of the war, Mr. Bass returned to his old home in Arkansas, where he bought some land and settled down, apparently, to life in thaf state. He made two crops and then gave up his resistance to the call of Texas, and sacrificing his interests there, he made his way back to the Lone Star state, accompanied by his wife, whom he had married after his return from the war. Mr. Bass settled in Williamson county, Texas, and farmed there for a time, but was not wholly satisfied with the location. In the years that elapsed between then and 1886 he conducted farming operations in many of the farming sections of the state, and finally gave up the project to engage in the grocery business in Gainesville. He carried on a most successful business there for four years, and in 1903 disposed of his interests and retired from all active pursuits, since which time he has been enjoying the fruits of his labors of former years. Later he moved to Mangum, Oklahoma, and in a thriving little city there he engaged in the feed business, but after five years he returned to Gainesville, and he may be said to have retired permanently on this occasion.

Mr. Bass is a Democrat, and he makes no exceptions to his political faith at any time, or on any occasion. He has never been an office seeker, but just a plain, straightforward, stanch Democrat, ready to work for the party interests at all times, and giving of his influence and energies in its behalf. For forty-five years he has been a member of the Methodist church, and is known for one of the stanchest members of that churchly body here.

In 1863 Mr. Bass married Sarah Axley, a native daughter of Arkansas. One child was born to them, who died in infancy, and the young mother died in 1867. In December, 1872, Mr. Bass married a second time, when Vinie Dowell became his wife. Five children were born of this latter union. Sarah Elizabeth, the first born, is the wife of James R. . Cole, of Tulsa, Oklahoma, and they have one child: Albert A. of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Ella A. is the widow of C. H. Smith, of Gainesvdle, Texas. Mr. Smith was secretary and treasurer of the Teague Company, a prosperous merchandise concern of Gainesville. Lovie is the wife of William Easley of Gainesville, where ho is a prominent cotton buyer. Belvidere is the wife of C. H. Leonard, a newspaper man of Gainesville, Texas.

Judge Quentin D. Corley. Probably few men in the entire state of Texas have better exemplified the principle of self-help, or have made better use of the opportunities of life in spite of the limitations of physical powers, than the present judge of the Dallas county courts, Quentin D. Corley. In the city of Dallas, in Dallas county, Judge Corley is one of the most popular officials and his career is probably familiar to the majority of the local citizenship. His has been a career of loyal usefulness and service, and his general popularity is based, not only upon his personal character and his gallant fight against difficulties, but upon his practical value as a working member of his community. He has been a man of worth, and well deserves the esteem with which he is greeted by all his fellow citizens.

Quentin D. Corley was born in the old town of Mexia, Limestone county, Texas, on the twenty-first of January, 1884. His parents were Daniel J. and Callie (Daniels) Corley, who formerly lived in Alabama, and who came to Texas about the year 1874, locating at Mexia, where they were long well known and substantial citizens. The father followed the occupation of contractor and builder, and many of the larger buildings in Mexia were constructed through his labor and supervision.

Judge Corley lived in Limestone, Hunt and Clay counties, before coming to Dallas in 1895, and up to that time had attended the common schools in the localities in which his residence had been. In 1901 he was graduated from the Oak Cliff high school, and at the entrance of his business career took up work as a bookkeeper and stenographer, an occupation which he followed for four years. During this time he was making ready for a larger field of usefulness, and had studied civil engineering with the intention of following that profession. Just when he was about ready to take up the active work of this profession, an accident in which he was involved at Utica, New York on September 18, 1905, deprived him of both hands and one arm and shoulder. This injury and loss of useful members would have discouraged many a young man with less energy and ambition than Judge Corley, but though balked of his ambition in one line, he, as soon as he had sufficiently recovered, diverted his attention to the study of law, in the offices of Muse & Allen at Dallas, and in 1907, successfully passed the bar examination and became a duly qualified lawyer of the Dallas county bar.

Soon afterward began his career in public affairs. In 1908 he was elected to the office of justice of the peace, and his service in that capacity was of such a character that in the campaign of 1912 he was placed upon the ticket for the office of county judge, and was choosen by a gratifying majority. The fiscal and administrative affairs of the county could not have been placed in better hands than those of Judge Corley, who throughout his career in public life, has shown an unquestionable devotion to the public welfare, and has also exemplified that efficient honesty that is everywhere needed in the public service.

Around the courthouse Judge Corley is known as the "Armless Wonder." For the better use of his own injured body, and also as a boon to others suffering similar deficiencies, Judge Corley has invented an automatic hook for his left arm, a patent having been issued in 1912, and also an apparatus for adjusting his collar, also patented in 1912. By the aid of these inventions, he has the use of pen, pencil, knife and is able to write in longhand or can use the typewriter, and can do many things, which are hardly conceivable without the full use of his arms.

The fact that he has no hands and only part of one arm has not prevented County Judge Quentin D. Corley from joining the ranks of Dallas motorists. He purchased an automobile and showed his friends that he could operate it very cleverly. He has invented an application by which he regulates the flow of gasoline and controls the speed of his car, and a second attachment by which he guides the machine. Two leather straps enable him to crank the car without assistance. "I think I will have solid tires put on," Judge Corley said.

"It would take too much time for me to put on a pneumatic tire if I had a puncture."

Judge Corley was married on the fourteenth of April, 1910, to Miss Hattie W. Robertson, a daughter of J. M. and Penelope Robertson of Dallas. They are the parents of one child, Hattie Louise Corley, who was born June 29, 1911. Judge Corley's residence is at 832 North Beckley street, and his offices are in the county building.

S. William Gibson. A successful business man of Gainesville, Mr. Gibson is a self-made man, beginning his career with little education, and in the minor positions of the world's work, and gradually promoting himself to a place of independence.

S. William Gibson was born in San Xevar, Argentine Republic, South America, March 3, 1874, a son of Samuel & Lucinda A. (Moore) Gibson. The father was born in Upper Lake, California, and the mother in Portland, Oregon, and they were married in South America. The father went to South America when a boy of fourteen, became identified with the great stock industry of the Argentine Republic, and is still active there,' being a dealer in stock on a large scale. There were four children in the family, the others being David C. of Helper, Utah; and Henry L. and Mary, both deceased. S. William Gibson was eleven years old when he left home and started out to make his own way. At the time he was living with his mother at San Angelo, Texas, and his first work was in calling the train crews for the Santa Fe Road at the San Angelo shops. He was connected in different capacities in the railroad service, was promoted for efficiency, until he became a locomotive engineer. He held the post of engineer for six years, until an accident on the road caused him to retire from railroading. In the meantime he had supplemented his deficiencies of early education by a course in a business college, and has by his industrious efforts placed himself on a plane of opportunity with other men. In 1911 he began work for a Gainesville undertaker, and soon went away to an embalming college in Cincinnati, where he acquired a technical and professional knowledge of the business. Then returning to Gainesville he bought out his former employer, and since May, 1912, has conducted a high class establishment in the city. In politics Mr. Gibson is a Democrat, without any aspirations for office. He is an officer in the Masonic Lodge, and also belongs to the Knights of Pythias, and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. His business establishment is located at 16 Main Street in Gainesville.

Mr. Gibson was married January 25, 1899, to Miss Minnie M. Rouse, a native of Rogers, Arkansas, and a daughter of James A. and Julia (Beck) Rouse. Her parents now live in Kansas City, Missouri, her father having been a farmer. The three children of Mr. and Mrs. Gibson, alLof them attending school at Gainesville, are Harry L., Achsa D., and Ocyte B.

Parx O. Hays. The best years of Parx O. Hays' life thus far have been passed in Texas, chiefly in Gainesville, where the family settled in the early eighties, when Mr. Hays was yet a small child. He was for some years identified with his father, in young manhood, in the packing and retail meat business, but when he launched out as the head of a family, he withdrew from that connection and has since been identified with the land and loan business, in co-partnership with his brother. Success has attended his efforts, and Mr. Hays stands among the leading business men of his community today.

Born in Georgia in 1876, Mr. Hays is the son of Lawrence R. and Lucy (Carpenter) Hays. The father came to Texas with his family in 1881• later locating in Arkansas and remaining there for two years, when he returned to Texas and coming direct to Gainesville, settled there and became engaged in the packing business. He built a commodious packing house, and began to operate extensively in wholesale and retail meat dealing, continuing active in the packing work until 1907, when he discontinued that phase of the business and has since devoted himself to the wholesale and retail departments of the industry.

Mr. and Mrs. Hays, who make their home in Gainesville, are the parents of five children. They are as follows: Eeese A. of Gainesville, where he is engaged in business with the subject; Odessa, the wife of Judge C. K. Pearman, of Gainesville, Texas, who is prosecuting attorney for-the county and was at one time judge of the county court; Louanna is the wife of Sidney A. Horn, connected with Val Peers & Company, in which he is a stockholder; Ella died in infancy; Park O. Hays was the second born in the family of five.

Parx Hays grew up at home, gaining his education in the schools which his community provided, and when he reached a reasonable age he began to take an active part in the business of his father, in which he continued until he was twenty-six years old. When he married ho engaged in the real estate and loan business, and is in that enterprise associated with his brother, Heese A. Hays, the firm being known as the Hays Land Company. They operate a general land business, operating for themselves and for others in their capacity as brokers and dealers. The firm is known for one of the enterprising and successful ones of the district, and the young men who have fostered the business have shown themselves possessed of excellent ability in their line.

Like his father, Mr. Hays is a Democrat, and like him also, he has never gone in for office seeking at any time. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and is one of the worthy citizens of the community, as many will attest.

In 1905 Mr. Hays was united in marriage with Miss Ianna Jones, a daughter of C. M. and Bettie (Boyd) Jones, natives of North Carolina and Texas, respectively, and Mrs. Hays is a native daughter of Texas also. Mr. Jones is a retired farmer of Gainesville where he has lived for many years.

To Mr. and Mrs. Hays three children have been born: Louanna, Estelle and Margaret Parx Hays. The family takes its proper place in the social life of the community, and enjoys the esteem and friendship of a large circle of the best people here resident.

Dr. William H. Anderson". Since 1898 one of the most prominent physicians and surgeons of El Paso, Dr. Anderson has been health officer of this city since 1905 and through his office, as well as through the medium of his individual practice and his public spirited citizenship, has contributed much valuable service to his home city.

William H. Anderson is a native of Louisville, Kentucky, where he was born May 15, 1867, a son of William H. and Helen M. (Bichardson) Anderson. His home was in Kentucky until 1898 at which date he came to El Paso and has been continuously identified with practice of medicine in this city for fifteen years. His early education he obtained in the grade and high schools of Louisville, and he studied medicine in the University of Louisville, where he was graduated M. D. in 1888. As a boy he depended upon his own exertions to secure further means for. his higher education. He worked in a store and from his earnings saved enough to pay his way through "college. After graduation from medical school he was interne in the City Hospital of Louisville, then moved to Mason county, Kentucky, where he engaged in practice until he came west to El Paso.

Dr. Anderson was married at Aberdeen, Ohio, in 1893 to Miss Carrie Pyles, a daughter of Leonard Pyles of Mason county, Kentucky. Three sons and one daughter of Dr. Anderson and wife are named William H., Jr., Charles L., Pauline, and Joseph U. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson are members of the Methodist church and she takes a very prominent part in the ehurch, being a member of the Ladies' Aid and other organizations. Politi

cally Dr. Anderson is a Democrat, and while not a politician has for a number of years been interested in political thought and activities, and is especially concerned with problems of good government in his home city. He served for four years as assistant city health officer, and since 1905 has been the chief in charge of this very important department of the public service. Among the larger Texas cities, El Paso is now said to possess the best organization for the regulation of sanitary and health matters and for fighting public disease which exists in any municipality of this state. Dr. Anderson is a member of the Masonic Order, having attained thirty-two degrees of the Scottish Bite, and is also affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and the Elks. As one of the foremost men of his profession in the state, and also a citizen who has given the best in him for the betterment and wholesome development of El Paso, Dr. Anderson's opinion on his home city is of more than passing interest. In his judgment the city of El Paso offers the best inducements of any of the Texas cities, not only as a place for the acquirement of solid material prosperity, but also for health and the enjoyments of the better proofs of civilization. The climate is unexcelled, the water is second to none in any city in this state, and the municipal government exercises a very fine system of inspection both of foods and dairies, so that the inhabitants are safe-guarded in nearly every direction from the perils of disease which may be caused by carelessness or by social laxness. To incipient cases of tuberculosis, El Paso offers probably the best location in the country for recuperation and for a successful fight against the disease. Dr. Anderson has spent fifteen years of his career in El Paso, has had a more than ordinary success in his profession, and is thoroughly devoted to the welfare and continued prosperity of his home city.

Elmer Dwight Strong, M. D. Engaged in the practice of medicine since 1902, the connection of Dr. Elmer Dwight Strong with El Paso began in 1910, and brief though the time is since his location here, his progress has been exceptional, and he leads in his profession in the city and county. The years in which he practiced in South Dakota and New Mexico were fraught with many pleasing successes, and he came here well fortified by an excellent reputation for professional ability which he has in every way upheld.

Born in Fayetteville, N. Y., on April 4, 1874, Elmer Dwight Strong is the son of Fred and Millie (Utter) Strong, both natives of New York state. The father was born there in 1845 and died in 1893 in South Dakota, when he was forty-eight years of age. Ho was a farmer, and came from New York state to South Dakota in 1883, there settling at Aberdeen, where he took a prominent and active part in its political life from that time until his death. He engaged in business in Aberdeen, and was one of the successful men of his time there. The mother still survives her husband and is a resident of El Paso today.

Dr. Strong was the only child of his parents. He received his education in the schools of Fayetteville as a boy, and completed his common school training in Aberdeen, finishing the course prescribed by the Aberdeen high school in 1893. He then spent five years in school teaching in Dakota, after which he took up the study of medicine, and was graduated from Hahnemann Medical School in Chicago in 1901. He then entered the Garfield Park Sanitarium in Chicago as an interne, and during the time of his service there took post graduate work at Bush Medical College, after which he felt himself sufficiently fortified in the knowledge of his profession to engage in its practice. He began practice in Bradley, South Dakota, in 1902, continuing there until June, 1905, when he removed to New Mexico, where he was local surgeon for the Santa Fe Bailroad and mining camp physician for five years. His success in those places was excellent and an excellent preparation for Berv

« PreviousContinue »