South Carolina Lighthouses

Front Cover
Arcadia Publishing, 2008 - History - 127 pages
0 Reviews
Boasting one of the oldest lighthouses in North America and the most working lighthouses today, South Carolina has a long seafaring history. In 1767, the Morris Island Lighthouse was built at the entrance to Charleston Harbor, and before 1860, there were lighthouses in Georgetown, Cape Romain, Bull's Bay, and Hunting Island. During the Civil War, all lighthouses on the eastern coast were darkened. Many were destroyed. After the war, towers that had been damaged were repaired, and additional lights were erected on Daufuskie and Hilton Head Islands. In 1962, the new Charleston Light on Sullivan's Island replaced the Morris Island Lighthouse, which was suffering from erosion by the ever-encroaching sea. The new light contained an elevator and two rotating beacons capable of producing 28 million candlepower, a light that can be seen 26 miles out to sea. At that time, it was considered one of the most powerful lights in the Western Hemisphere.
  

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Contents

Acknowledgments
6
Introduction
7
Morris Island Light
9
Georgetown Light
35
Cape Romain Lights
51
Hunting Island Light
61
Hilton Head Lights
69
Haig Point
79
Bloody Point
87
Charleston Light
93
Not Forgotten
113
Copyright

Common terms and phrases

Bibliographic information