101 Reasons to Hate George Steinbrenner
For two and a half decades, Yankee boss George Steinbrenner has gone out of his way to find new ways to make baseball both interesting and infuriating. What can you say about an owner who ...
- pays gambler Howie Spira to try to track down unsavory information on outfielder Dave Winfield?
- fires Dick Howser, the manager who guided the New York Yankees to their best regular-season record since 1963?
- leaks uncomplimentary facts about his own players to the press?
- nurtures a codependent relationship with the late Billy Martin, eventually hiring (and firing) the Brash One five times?
- composes, and distributes to the New York media, a press release attacking his own manager, Lou Piniella, for missing a phone call?
- so enrages Yogi Berra that the Hall of Famer has sworn never to reenter Yankee stadium until someone else owns the team?
- goes through managers the way other people go through Kleenex?
- leads Jay Leno to call Saddam Hussein the "Steinbrenner of Iraq"?
Well, there certainly is one thing to say: George Steinbrenner is the most hated man in major league baseball. With this book in hand you will find yourself laughing, crying, and cursing -- sometimes all at once.
The only good thing about having power is that you can use it to help other people.
- Steinbrenner expounding his personal philosophy, circa 1982
Okay, George, and I'm sure you have a bridge to sell us.
What people are saying - Write a review
Reasons to Hate George Steinbrenner
EpilogueRecalling the Roots of the New Beginning
1 other sections not shown